This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Shin Regression

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, May 31, 2016 · 3 Replies · 136 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, more than likely due to desk patrol this move KILLS me. I know that pain is no bueno, but having my butt to heel without even coming off the wall is already too much for me. This didn't used to be the case, but I guess time off from GB and time on with research changed that up mighty fast.

Two weeks ago I tweaked my quads by pushing; last week not so bad; today, I did it a little on my left quad. My gut reaction is to lean the torso forward, so as to decrease the tension and angle on my hip and quad, but at the same time we're instructed to sit upright (in a perfect world). So, would the suggestion be to lean forward, only so much that the stretch is bearable and slowly work my torso back up to 90 degrees AND THEN to bring the quad down or should I attack it differently? Thanks. I also looked into whether there might be any cues from Wesley in the new technical videos but he doesn't mention anything as such (just that squeezing the butt can intensify the stretch--which was what tweaked my quads two weeks ago--figured that out all on my own I'd like to add, ha).

Leonhard Krahé

"Vertical shin until you walk funny" ;)

Daniel, another option that comes to mind to reduce stress on the quad could be this:
Start out with the knee away from the wall so the shin is not vertical but the stretch is there and manageable with an upright torso and then over time move it back into the wall.

Cole Dano

Leonhard got it, the best way to down scale is to just take your knee a reasonable distance out from the wall.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Will do. Shouldn't take too much time to get back to where I was before my layoff but I was unsure of how to correct this since my hip flexors have never really been so tight as that I could never not do the couch stretch/vertical shin to some degree, so this is unfamiliar territory.