This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 4X13r Form Check

Started by Ron Roitman, May 31, 2016 · 8 Replies · 147 Views

Ron Roitman

Hey all !

I haven't posted a form check for this PE for over half a year. I just want to make sure my form is still okay.

So if I said I had the technique of the 4th set below , but instead I had that same form on the 5th set of mastery... , would it be acceptable to move on to PPP or would you recommend I stay on this element until my form improves?

 

Thanks for watching!

Alessandro Mainente

At 16 seconds of the 4th set you can see clearly the mistake where you try to push your shoulders off the floor instead of push your hips. this has the consequence of arched back and the sensation that the movement is divided into 2 phases 

1) shoulders lift

and 

2) hips lift.

Maybe the problem is a lack of core engagement. You should think about stay tight and push up your hips, if you core is correctly engaged then your body will move as a single unit.

Ron Roitman
13 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

At 16 seconds of the 4th set you can see clearly the mistake where you try to push your shoulders off the floor instead of push your hips. this has the consequence of arched back and the sensation that the movement is divided into 2 phases 

1) shoulders lift

and 

2) hips lift.

Maybe the problem is a lack of core engagement. You should think about stay tight and push up your hips, if you core is correctly engaged then your body will move as a single unit.

Awesome advice @Alessandro Mainente. I'll see how it helps in the next session and update.

The sensation I get in those last sets/reps is the difficulty to keep the ribs in. So yes, I loose core engagement too.

Does " shoulders lift" mean that I'm elevating the shoulders unintentionally towards the ears?

Edit: I'm kind of confused. What wrong with pushing with the shoulder and triceps while doing push-ups? (That's how I keep protraction at the top)

Alessandro Mainente

i'm sorry about that, I mean that the first part which moves from the bottom part of pushup is the shoulders, while ideally you should move as a single unit and not as separated elements. if body is aligned and rigid due to core involvement you should lift as a wood bar without piking, arching etc, .Usually this form is typical of "crossfit push up"

If you read carefully I said "push your shoulders" and not "push with your shoulders", very similar but different ideas. you need to use triceps and shoulders but not push up your upperback while the lower part remains on the floor.

I hope this is clear.

Petri Widsten

What about depressing the scapulae?

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Ron,

I have same problem. The way I see it my scapula glides upward and forward so there's too much motion and a bit of a disconnect with the rest of my body. Notice how the humerus head dives into the floor while it would be preferable to keep it closer to parallel with the floor with scaps depressed.

With this element, we have a hard time stabilizing the scaps while in motion BA strength. I'm weak there. I've been feathering the scapulae gliding less and less in the last few months, but unfortunately I'm still doing it. I need more time. 

I think you'll get it sooner by just looking at your physique.

Petri Widsten

Getting good at floor L-sit would be good training for those scap depressors if it's a strength rather than technique issue. I trained it pre-Foundation (15-20s holds) and haven't had depression issues (which is mentally uplifting :-)). PPT, now that's another story...

Eva Pelegrin

Petri, it's dynamic depression (stabilization) and BA strength, so actually dips with proper form would have a better carryover than L-sit. I probably could still do L-sit for a few seconds. I'm being very conservative and not adding more volume to my Foundation, for the time begin, but thanks, I enjoy reading your posts!

Petri Widsten

You may be right about the dynamic depression, Eva. In fact I also trained weighted PB dips which certainly made ordinary PUs feel very light overall.