This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamentals Progression and Repeat for Fogies

Started by Greg Gagnon, May 31, 2016 · 5 Replies · 398 Views

Greg Gagnon

I am currently old, fat, and inflexible. I signed up for Fundamentals to change two of those. Before getting here I spent my youth doing foolish things such as military and martial arts training so I also have residual mobility challenges and old injuries.

I expect to have to repeat Fundamentals at least three times (my current plan) before being ready to progress.

The question is: how should I sequence the repeat? Variations that have occurred to me:
D1 D1 D1 D2 D2 D2...

D1 D2 D1 D2 D1 D2 so I don't strain the same muscles/tendons/ligaments repeatedly

W1 W1 W1 W2...

Do the whole thing through and then start over at the beginning.

Suggestions welcome. D=Day and W=Week, in case that was not apparent.

Brandon Erwin

I have also been planning on doing something similar and would also benefit from suggestions. Or maybe Greg and I should just have faith in one round of the fundamentals and go straight to foundations? Thanks all.

Guido Franchetti

I am not an expert but maybe finishing the program, identifying the areas in which you lack most and then focusing on those, putting together a personalised daily (or whatever frequency suits you) workout of the exercises you need most could be a good way.

 

Most likely you can start Foundation after 1 round of Fundamentals, it used to be the starting point. It mostly depend on whether you want to start a more structured training with sets, reps, progressions, mastery tests, which is more challenging both physically and mentally, or if oyu prefer to explore GST at a more relaxed pace for a wee more time.

Greg McDonald

Hi Greg,

As another one of the older members (46) of this community, I support your plan to take it slowly.  I have a long way to go myself (cf. the attached post).  That being said, I encourage you to go through Fundamentals just once and then start in on Foundation 1 (I'm also doing Front Split stretching to work on hamstring flexibility, a long-standing problem and source of back pain for me).

I enjoyed Fundamentals: it was playful and pretty relaxed (I didn't say easy) and I find myself doing the various stretches and animal postures for fun from time to time.  But the structure and progression of Foundation 1 make more sense to me and give me clear, abeit distant goals to work towards.  I feel like no amount of repetition of the Fundamentals exercises could have prepared me for hinge rows (see video), which is the first preparatory exercise for robe climbing and which I am not able to do even once with proper form.  So I adjust the exercise (glutes on floor, negative hinge row and other tricks I've found on the forum) and slowly work at getting that first one. But the goal and the path to it are clear.

All the best,

Another Greg

 

 

Greg Gagnon

Thank you for the advice. I will go once through Fundamentals, then see what it feels like.

Greg: I just turned 53, so if you are one of the older folks my subject line was accurate. :-)

Mark Collins

I would recommend that you move straight into Foundation. You will always be working on Fundamentals. The Foundation program will accelarate your progress in a safe manner.