I've been really working on dips, wall handstands and HeSPU for the past three weeks. A few minutes ago, I was doing HeSPU pretty easy so I got my paralletes and to my amazement I was able to press into it! I'm happy!
I did my first real HSPU!
Started by sasquatch, November 19, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,300 Views
with or without wall?
either way congratulations, full ROM bodyweight press is impressive.
I used a wall. I can do a HeSPU without a wall and I. can do shoulderstands pretty good, maybe I could do one without a wall... maybe not though.
Congrats on the move. Do you think you'll be able to progress to a floor HSPU? I often think that the parallelettes add quite a bit of leverage. How is your shoulder range of motion? Do you do the wall extensions or do you feel you have good mobility across your shoulder girdle?
The HSPU has been my personal goal for a while, even before I found this board and added all the other goals. I am trying on the floor and progress isn't forthcoming. I probably should try the parallelettes...
I have pretty crappy shoulder flexibility. I can't even do a bridge without breaking my lower back and having my hands far from under my shoulders. I was only able to do the move two times tonight, on all the other trys I would get stuck in the middle of the move. It seems like I can gain and lose shoulder strength really quickly. if I don't practice HeSPU for a week I struggle to do two in a row, but if I practice them grease the grove style throughout the day, I can do sets of four on my next training day.
sasquatch said:....It seems like I can gain and lose shoulder strength really quickly. if I don't practice HeSPU for a week I struggle to do two in a row, but if I practice them grease the grove style throughout the day, I can do sets of four on my next training day.
I wonder if it's not necessarily "losing" strength as much as it is the unworked muscles tightening up a bit. When you've had a gap in training it might help to fully stretch the involved muscles first (wall extensions) or even use MFR on a foam roller.