This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Procedure if unable to do even one rep of PE1 Step 1

Started by Greg McDonald, May 30, 2016 · 14 Replies · 427 Views

Greg McDonald

I am unable to do even a single rep of RC/PE1 (hinge rows).  I've found suggestions for building up to this exercise elsewhere on the forum (do a week with glutes on the ground and then try again, do negative hinge rows where you start in the hinged position and lower to flat) and will try that.

In the meantime, should I keep entering "0 reps" completed for each set for this exercise or would it be better to click "not attempted"?  Are the two handled differently by the workout planning software?  

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Cheers!

Greg

Ryan Reynolds

Hey Greg what I have done when needing to scale back a PE1 is used the rep template to build up capacity with the version I was doing.  I would do that version until I had a 5x15 capacity and then start over with a more difficult version and again build to 5x15 capacity.  I would enter it as PE1 @ such and such reps.  You can always reset what step you are on in the week workout scheduler.

Todd Fonseca

Hey Greg. As a complete newbie I don't know how valid my experience has been but i'like share it as sometimes bigger mind is helpful.

i found that setup on this was key. At first my ring height was too low and my body position too far forward under the rings. I sat down under the rings with a straight back and found I needed to raise the ring height to be higher to ensure my final position was correct. 

After I got the ring height correct this became much easier.

good luck!

t

Mike Kelly

I have a bit of a shoulder injury I am working on rehabbing so RC PE1 has become 15rx5 ring rows.  It is pretty easy to make these progressively harder by changing foot position.  After I rebuild my shoulder and lose a bit more body fat I will return to the ring row.  

I feel like the important thing is that you keep working - maybe you can do some PE1 holds in top position and add a few sets of ring rows?

Journal it anyway you like :)

 

Andrea Christie

I'm also having trouble getting even 1 rep of hinge rows. I tried with my butt on the ground which seemed okay. I tried with my knees bent and feet on the ground, which resulted in very sore lats the next day. Would this be an acceptable method to work towards my first rep of a hinge row? 

Thanks! Andrea :)

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Andrea, 

Check these threads below and accompanying link from Rayne-William on how to scale down Hinge Rows. Be sure to start with the number of reps you can handle in good form and don't forget to post form checks. It will save you time and headaches, if you ask me. :D

Greg McDonald

Thanks @Eva Pelegrin for pointing us at these threads.  If you're new to all this, it's hard to know what terms to use in searching the form for help.  Now I know:  "regression(s)", "RC/PE1" (I think I'd tried "RC PE1" and "RC-PE1") and, of course, "hinge rows" (which I tried, but got too many irrelevant hits).  My rings arrived in the mail yesterday, so armed with Coach's regression suggestions (build to 5x60s static hold in the final hinged position of the hinge row followed by negative hinge rows, increase ring height if necessary), I'm gonna get this.  I'm aiming for RC/PE1 mastery in about 8 months from my current level. Wish me luck!

Kevin Easton

This is what I would do:

Get a mirror so you can see yourself making sure your form is correct.

Get yourself into the top position, use your legs or whatever you need to start in the top position.  Slowly lower yourself down into the starting position taking at least 5 seconds to lower yourself.  Keep tension on your muscles and control while you lower yourself.  When you get to the bottom of the rep use your legs or whatever you need to start at the top and do it again.    These are negative reps and are easier to do, but will help build strength. 

Next workout instead of doing negatives set yourself up at the top position and try and hold yourself there for 30-60 seconds.   It's a static hold in the top position.  Do a couple reps of these to help build strength in that top position.

You can also do a combination of both of these.  Do a few negatives and then on your last set try and do a static hold in the top position. 

Eva Pelegrin

Greg, you’re welcome.

5 hours ago, Greg McDonald said:

I'm aiming for RC/PE1 mastery in about 8 months from my current level. Wish me luck!

You brought up an interesting point. While it’s great to set S.M.A.R.T. goals, I wouldn’t recommend setting a time-dependent deadline on achieving any element or skill (especially early on). Some may argue a deadline can "motivate" you (for a vacation) without realizing we cannot anticipate our own mistakes or fast-forward the speed of our physiology. Right @Ryan Bailey?
Don't get me wrong. I want my push ups yesterday, but I channel my energy towards the process every day, rather than a stepping stone (RCPE1) or end goal that is tied to a particular date. I’d say the most important thing is to be CONSISTENT with our training and to give it 100%+. Luckily, Coach has already done the thinking for us. 

I don’t want to discourage you, on the contrary, to prepare you:

1) It’s very hard to predict, even by experts, when you will get something because so many factors play a role in our learning/performance curve.

2) “Progress” is not always linear or sometimes visible on a given day/week. There are times when elements will feel/look worse before they look better. 

3) Unexpected setbacks are part of the journey and a reason to revaluate our game plan and future goals.

4) I’m sure many can attest to how frustrating and disappointing it can be when our expectations don’t match our desired performance.

5) The process is SO individual. You may be gifted in one area and have serious deficiencies in others.

It will come when you get there:) and it will probably be sooner or later than you think!:lol:

Ryan Bailey
17 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

While it’s great to set S.M.A.R.T. goals, I wouldn’t recommend setting a time-dependent deadline on achieving any element or skill (especially early on). Some may argue a deadline can "motivate" you (for a vacation) without realizing we cannot anticipate our own mistakes or fast-forward the speed of our physiology. Right @Ryan Bailey?

I am starting to find out when I perseverate on a single element with a S.M.A.R.T. goal,

I usually get a D.U.M.B. outcome (Delusionary/Unbalanced/Mind/Body) ;).

Eva Pelegrin

LOL. That’s brilliant! I may have to still this D.U.M.B. thing. It’s the antithesis of my Attune brand essence. I need to say that word out loud more often and more people need to hear it.

Ryan Bailey

Haha, Eva. All kidding aside, I understand what those above are going through. I did my share of 25-50 rep practice sessions with butt on ground to learn and ingrain that body hinge + arm horizontal abduction movement. A bit tricky on the brain at first. Plus 3x25r with butt on the ground feels good on the rotator cuff; but nothing quite feels like 5x15r of the real thing.

Eva Pelegrin

Whatever it takes, Ryan! As far as the real thing... Coach has me thinking. I wonder if the Hinge Rows are a mere "mega-regression" for us non-gymnasts adults so to speak. Perhaps the "real thing" is doing the exact same movement on the rings (higher up), except with body hollow (vertical) and feet not touching the ground. That kind of puts hinge rows in perspective, wahwaaah. 

Ryan Bailey

I have also wondered if the Hinge Row is a gymnastic move on Rings with feet off the ground? 

A little different than you were describing I think.

Front lever on rings to hinge row position (L/cross/bent arm position)? I really don't know what I'm talking about here. @Alessandro Mainente ? Eva, someone is going to tell us to stop this intellectual curiosity thing and get back to training, you know.

Alessandro Mainente

Front lever to hinge-feet off the ground-row it is not a gymnastic skill of the cop, BUT I frequently use what you have mentioned as a conditioning variation. Basically you start from dead hang position, then you lift the legs into L position, you do a chin up until the elbows show a 90° flexion then you strongly retract, here you are reaching the top position of a hinge row with elevated feet. From here I ask to the stronger kid to perform a couple of lats flyes.