This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Returning to F1/H1

Started by Mark Carter, May 30, 2016 · 6 Replies · 240 Views

Mark Carter

Hello All,

So a little over a year ago I started and made some decent progress on F1/H1. Then the call of the iron was too much and I went back to my power lifting-centered programming with conditioning. Toward the end of the year I finally decided that at 48, how much stronger do I really need to be and at what cost (I have a 1300 total)? So I backed off some but was still addicted to a certain amount of redlining. I saw that my mobility and joints were compromised and that for health and wellness at my age I need to get back on the GST bandwagon. 

So here I am, starting back at the beginning and fully committed to this for my training. I look forward to moving more naturally and building my body this way as I enter (gasp!) my 50s! Maybe after a couple years of dedicated training. Can be one of those 50 year olds that everyone marvels at?!?!?!

Mark

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, make it happen and welcome back! Sometimes taking a step back is a great way to move forward with more clarity and determination. 

Mark Collins

Welcome back. It is hard to let go of the weights when you have done them for so long. As you get deeper into Foundation the lure of BP, DL and Sq will lessen.

There are some older athletes here that can do amazing things with their body. Coach has mentioned that by finishing Foundation you will be in the top 1% of the population for strength and mobility. At 50 if you can finish F1 you will be better than 99.9% of the people your own age. I treat many 50 year olds and they struggle to do a full squat without there heels coming off the floor. Their strength and control of their bodybis woeful. 

Mark Carter

So this is funny. For the last couple years I've squatted sometimes 350-400 and I've deadlifted 450-500. This is not a meathead gym. Most weight of anyone in the morning. Nobody has ever said a word to me. But each time I do handstand work somebody says "that's amazing!" 

Eva Pelegrin
35 minutes ago, Mark Carter said:

So this is funny. For the last couple years I've squatted sometimes 350-400 and I've deadlifted 450-500. This is not a meathead gym. Most weight of anyone in the morning. Nobody has ever said a word to me. But each time I do handstand work somebody says "that's amazing!" 

That's because most people believe that HS is beyond their reach (when it is not) or something that only "gymnasts or acrobats" do.

When I practice HS, pancake, etc., I get:  "were you a gymnast?" LOL. I smile and take no offense at the implication of being past my "prime" haha since I never was a gymnast nor did gymnastics as a kid. 

Clearly, most people don't know squat or how to train. If you're upside down balancing, that's amazing! You may have a banana or a snake for a HS and it looks good to them...

Mark Collins

It will get funnier. My friends think I am doing amazing things when I do korean and russian dips. They don't believe me when I tell them they are warm ups for gymnasts.

Mark Carter

So, two weeks back and some quick thoughts (for those that may be in my same boat or thinking of returning).  First, I'm surprised at how quickly I'm returning to where I left off (I shouldn't be surprised), both in terms of the strength and mobility work.  I didn't back all the way off to the absolute beginning, but I backed off a substantial amount to make sure I build back right.  After next week I'm going to test for mastery on a couple moves.  Second, I forgot how much I love the scapula work!  Man, that is a movement that never gets worked in "normal" working out.  Third, I forgot how odd it felt to be working my wrist strength.  Specifically fatiguing my wrists is not "normal" but I know that the connective tissue work will pay big dividends in the long term.  Finally, I just "feel" really good!  It's like my body is waking up.  It's not a "beat down" type of feeling that I would get after a heavy lifting workout or a red-lining conditioning work.  It's an overall feeling that my body is "connected" (if that makes any sense).  It's almost euphoric.  I have to admit, though, that I felt a slight longing today.  I was doing my RC work and the guy on a platform next to me was doing snatches.  But that didn't last.  I'm truly committed this time because my goals are different.

Happy training to all!