This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapula Protraction issues, tight retractors?

Started by Kevin Easton, May 27, 2016 · 9 Replies · 241 Views

Kevin Easton

I have been plugging away on Foundations 1, typically doing my workouts at home in the basement.

Yesterday I worked out at a gym in front of some mirrors.

I was doing sPL/PE1 and noticed no matter how hard I tried I was never able to get that perfect scapula protraction.

I used to be heavy into weight lifting and I am wondering if my scapula retraction muscles could be soo tight and tense making it nearly impossible to totally protract my scapula?

On sPL/PE1 when I am in the top position I am pressing as hard as I can, but I can still see a bit of my scapula popping up at the top (a small ridge).

If this is the case, tight retraction muscles, are there any specific stretches I can incorporate to hit that muscle group to try and loosen things up?

ROBERT Burtchell

I was actually concerned about this as well. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter. At first I though I was protracted way to much or at least people who saw me in that position would tell me so.

Kevin Easton

Other than sPL/PE1 is there any other supplemental things I can do?

Petri Widsten

The main muscles responsible for protraction are serratus anterior and pec minor. As SA is known as the boxer's muscle you could train with a punching bag focusing on really extending those punches or train the Serratus Punch. YT has videos demonstrating it.

Christian Nogueira

I'd also suggest just posting a form check of your sPL/PE1. 

Is there a significant different when you do like a incline sPL/PE1 or even a wall sPL/PE1 ?

 

Eva Pelegrin

There's also a motor learning component. I've seen many clients who cannot access SA simply because of a lack of understanding of how to do it. This is where hands-on cues are very helpful and of course, an in-person coach.

ROBERT Burtchell

When doing any of the SPL work, It feels like I am pressing through my lats/armpit area. I this correct feeling? I'll post a Scap push up set later for my form check.

Mark Collins

If you can lay on your back and protract the scapula then it is a strength issue. If not it is usually poor scapula control. It is rare to have a stiff scapula, but can happen.

I am sure if you were laying on your back and I held a $100 bill above you your protractors would wake up. 

Kevin Easton

I tried standing and protracting my scapula as hard as I can.  No gravity or body weight resistance.  I still feel like I can see the ridge of my scapula. 

I may be too critical, I will try and get my wife to take a pic for review. 

 

************************

I have re-started the program.  I bumped everything back to PE1 except for SL and HBP.  Those two are at PE2.

I also went back to Step 4 for most exercises.

I think what I needed was to swallow my pride and take a bunch of steps back and re-start focusing on proper technique and pace.  Even after dialing things way back and really putting focus on technique I still failed on MN, sPL, and RC.  It just shows I went too fast and likely too sloppy. 

Andrew Long

I have a similar problem and I believe it is due to overpowered and tight pec minor and upper traps.  i can protract well if i dont depress my scaps but as soon as i try to combine the 2 I can hardly protract at all. and can still see the superior angle of the scapulae quite clearly.  not sure if yours is the same but maybe loosening up those areas might help?