This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Planche process?

Started by Fahad Khan, May 27, 2016 · 7 Replies · 396 Views

Fahad Khan

Problem Solved :)

Marcus Patterson

I cannot do it yet, and I can hold crane pose easily thirty seconds on parallels. I am nowhere near it. I think you need to be very patient with the straddle planche. It´s very easy to lose sight of what you are aiming for and easy to get bogged down in the nitty gritty essentials with very little gains being made. You need to take a long term view and think that "maybe" in two years you will have it, and if you get it sooner you will have a nice surprise!

Mikkel Ravn

You will be able to hold it when you're strong enough. Judging from your current level I'd say somewhere between three years and never (yes, the latter is a possibility). 

Focus on what's in front of you, and keep the sPL as your long term goal.

Teach yourself to enjoy where you're at, rather than to agonise over where you're not. 

 

Mats Trane

6 months?! I've been training GST for 6 years and don't have a solid straddle PL. Enjoy your training, one day it will come. 

Paul Gray

Fahad - how are your planche leans?  These will need to be solid in order to go beyond frog stance / Advanced frog stand.  I worked on advanced frog stands before but couldn't make the jump to tuck planche so had to go back and fix gaps.

Mats that was like an arrow through my heart (even though I know that already), the fact that you put it in writing hurt ;)   It's a real lesson, focus on the foundations and don't move on before you're really ready or you'll find out like many of us that you have to go back and fill in the gaps that were missing, the weak links in the chain.

Just out of curiosity Mats where are you up to - flat tuck planche?

 

Mikkel Ravn
1 hour ago, Paul Gray said:

Fahad - how are your planche leans?  These will need to be solid in order to go beyond frog stance / Advanced frog stand.  I worked on advanced frog stands before but couldn't make the jump to tuck planche so had to go back and fix gaps.

Mats that was like an arrow through my heart (even though I know that already), the fact that you put it in writing hurt ;) It's a real lesson, focus on the foundations and don't move on before you're really ready or you'll find out like many of us that you have to go back and fill in the gaps that were missing, the weak links in the chain.

Just out of curiosity Mats where are you up to - flat tuck planche?

 

Look on the bright side, at least your future is no longer uncertain. You know exactly what you need to do for the next 5 years. 

Keilani Gutierrez
1 hour ago, Zach Armijo said:

It should be understood that there will be a time in everyone's training that they will reach their "dream" element. And when that time comes, it will be of the greatest importance to know and differentiate between being able to get into the position (for all your IG fans) and when you are ready to train the position.

There will be great fallout from the former if you pursue it prematurely. 

 

**For  your reference: I was able to achieve the position at 2 years. I was able to train it at 4. There is no rush. Trust me. 

prrrrrreeeeeach ~

John Kiggundu
On 5/27/2016 at 6:30 AM, Fahad Khan said:

24 years old, 150lb 17% bf

I've been training seriously for 6 months, can hold frog stance for 10 seconds, handstand for 5 seconds, and I'm half way through Foundation 1.

When will I be able to hold a straddle planche? I've wanted this movement for so long but I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

How long it takes you to get your straddle planche very strongly hinges on the following variables.

1. Your ability to train consistently (i.e., never missing a scheduled workout) and train intelligently (i.e., learning from your mistakes, sticking to a progression until it's truly mastered, avoiding injury).

2. Your ability to let your body inform you that you're able to move to a more advanced progression.

Those two variables are hardly a given: I'm now in my 3rd year into the GST journey and I've had to learn A LOT of things regarding the above mentioned points. Early into my straddle planche journey, I was in a big rush to increase my planche lean hold times. Guess what happened? Yup, you guessed it. I injured myself and had to sit out four months on that one.

I have now come to appreciate the journey more than the destination. I decided to milk the cow dry on F1 before moving onto F2, because the journey means a lot more to me than the destination.

To put it another way, if I'm unable to master a simple progression, how can I possibly end up mastering the skill? So I reoriented my priorities and I hope you can take some of the lessons I've learned and apply them to your training efforts.