This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fasting month

Started by Talal Aldoub, May 27, 2016 · 7 Replies · 282 Views

Talal Aldoub

Hi Jeff,

I have question regards Ramadan, which will start is in few days and it's a month of fasting from dawn (3 am) till sunset (6:45 pm) where I am from, my question which is obviously, what can I do during the month in term of nutrition - timing - portions.

Thanks,

Talal

Jeff Serven

I am only mildly familiar with it and have heard conflicting word. Some say BCAA are okay and some say no. Can you give me some hard and fast rules to stay within and I will do my best. 

Talal Aldoub

Hello Jeff,

Today is my first fasting day (ramadan fasting month). we don't swallow or drink anything during the fasting timing from dawn till sunset (16 hours) no anything. so you have guide us to build habits for normal days, what to choose, when , portion sizes for normal days.  

my questions would be how can i adopt this with habit if you were me. habits for this month?

1- consumption of protein, fat and carbs 

2- do i go to bed with large meal of fat to store for when I'm fasting or do same what you asked in Thrive to stick with carbs?

3- what about timing between meal or whenever i feel?

4- i feel every year I'm craving for sugar 

5- feel in efficient or slow to workout while fasting and if i did my breakfast feel too heavy. how to manage without feeling that.  

Thanks,

Jeff Serven

At first is sounds pretty difficult to get good nutrition during a 16hr a day fast. Particularly the daylight hours but the more I though of it, it's really not that difficult to stick with a Thrive style of eating during Ramadan. 

1) Nothing changes here. You still need all 3 - protein(meat), carbs(veg, starch, fruit) and fat. Your meals should be constructed very similar to how they are now. The less you change here the better.

2) Two options here: a. and b. If you can eat a Thrive prescribed lunch then I would do that at 8pm(according to google thats when the sun goes down and you can eat, correct me if Im wrong), that meal will contain your fats like lunch does. Then, you should train(more on training later) Then you should eat a Thrive prescribed dinner with no added fat. However if you cant workout after a heavy meal then flop the two. Flopping the two sounds more optimal for you. 

3) Give me some more details on your sleep/wake cycle there.  - Here is my guess: Eat at 8pm - fat, protein, carb. Train, then eat at 10-11pm - protein and carbs with no extra fat added, sleep, wake at 5am(again google here) and eat a Thrive style lunch (not a breakfast). Fast. Repeat. 

4) Low blood sugar. You should feel less of that due to increase fat utilization via Thrive. 

5) Your 'workout' needs to change. I would recommend Stretch 3 days a week and Foundations for 30 minutes - 3 days a week. Less is more here. Don't think you cant workout because you are fasting, most average people fast 10-12 between dinner and breakfast the next day. 16 hours isn't that bad. But also don't try and go in the gym and set new records. 

Ghazi Jeiroudi

Thanks for posting this Talal and for the recommendation Jeff, very useful. 

Jeff Serven

No problem! Feel free to ask more questions if I missed something

Talal Aldoub

Thanks so much Jeff. Pretty much you answered almost everything, but will keep close eyes more and come with a feedback if there. so far is good. :D

Jeff Serven

Good. Keep us updated.