This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much Fat at breakfast?

Started by Ariyo Khoobsirat, May 26, 2016 · 12 Replies · 427 Views

Ariyo Khoobsirat

Hey Jeff, quick question about breakfast fat - Is there any upper limit too how much i should eat? As an example today i ate a bit of greek yoghurt with 1 teaspoon coconut oi 1 teaspoon ghee 1 teaspoon butter and one teaspoon of linseed oil with some coconutmilk half an avocado one slive of cheease 2 eggas and 500 g Kefir. That comes to about 60 g of fat.

Best greetings from germany,

Ariyo Khoobsirat :-)

Jeff Serven

How do you feel after that?

Thats is a lot of individual ingredients? Is there a reason for that? 

Ariyo Khoobsirat

Often I feel good after breakfast, and a bit full after lunch and dinner(and tied after dinner), because of the time between eating and training, (about two hours) I have no problems during the training.

:D yeah there is a reason, my friend also have the thrive and is not eating as much as me, and thats why I think it is better to ask someone who knows definitely much more about the stuff!

i am doing the foundations training, Stretch and Handstand one (I am just a beginner) three times a week (F7, 3 days).

About my person: I am 1,85m, 86kg, 28 years old(I hope it will help a bit).

i know it's not easy to tell me, how much I should eat, but maybe you have some examples, where I maybe could understand and get a feeling for "how much is ok, and when it is too much"

Sorry if I ask you too much :-)

Jeff Serven

Ariyo, 

What you have currently looks good. At this stage just make sure you are doing it 6 days a week and as we get further we will dial it in. You have a lot of good sources of fat. 

Ariyo Khoobsirat

Thank you Jeff,

i will doing like you said, 6 Times a week with the actual amount of fat!

i try to use more often different source of fat, everything which is written in the list of thrive.

( I think it will be 7 Times a week, often i do not need the cheat day :D)

Norberto Munoz

Jeff,

1 concern and 1 question. I am concerned of overeating calories due to eating too much fat. Of course I am not trying to eat the 60 grams as Ariyo. I am 169cm (5 6'') and 71kg (156 lbs), so I need much less calories.The 60 grams of fat in Ariyo look too much for me (540 cals! plus the rest of macronutrients!). Even when those are good fats I am concerned of getting too much calories. My current target is 1200 cals and is really hard to achieve if I eat 60 grams of fat.  I am trying something much smaller as half cup of greek yoghurt. Should I increase the fats without worrying about calories? why?

And the question. For convenience I am taking Omega 3 pills. My target is ~6 grams per day. Can those be part of the breakfast fats? Thanks.

Briac Roquet

Is that 1200 cals for the whole day? I think that's pretty low, even for your size.

Jeff Serven

Norberto, 

bro had a good observation. 1200 a day or meal? 

Norberto Munoz

It is 1200 per day. I am keeping decent amount of proteins (120 - 150 gr per day), fiber and essential fats (~6 g of Omega 3). And I am doing cycles, so not all days are that low. But independently of the number of calories, the point is the concern of increasing calories. I got good results with diets high in protein and low in fat and carbs like the "rapid fat loss diet" of Lyle McDonald. One friend of mine used a high fat diet and recommended me to try it, but I am a bit resilient to do it for the fear of getting fat due to eating too many calories. I know that not all calories are the same, and that increased fat means increased hormonal response, but there is still the concern. Shouldn't I be worried? Why? Thanks. Norberto.

Briac Roquet

I'd definitely say you shouldn't be worried and can increase the fats (and calories!). Jeff will probably explain much better than I can, but my experience has been that I never was too wary of fats and that since Thrive I eat even more overall, and I'm getting leaner. It's the big picture that counts, when you eat them, with what, and of course your training regimen.

Jeff Serven

Norberto, 

You have to find a place to plant you flag in the sand and keep it there. Laying in Thrive with a VLCD day and McDonadls stuff is a recipie for failure and the blame belongs on you not Lyle or I. 

Pick one, follow it to the letter of the law for 12 weeks then individualize. 

I'm all for you succes so if that comes with Thrive or a 1200 cal a day diet then more power to you. 

Norberto Munoz

As the gym mantra says "everything works, but nothing works forever". I tried Lyle's work and everything worked perfectly, and he is very clear about it: Ultimate diet 2.0 is for a few cycles and Rapid fat loss is to reach ~16%BF. So I am transitioning from Lyle's work to yours and I am eating by your advise 100%. 1l water, healthy fats on breakfast, veggies ... Let me tell you, I was on a plateau at 72k and the increase of fat helped me to break it i am 70.5k now. I am just very curious on why. Lyle talks very briefly on fat balance and MCTs, not enough to understand what is going on here. So I am curoius on what is your theory or explanation; or if you know a good source to find the answer. Thanks again for you reply.

Jeff Serven

Thats great 72 to 70.5kg!