This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back tweaked morning after FS

Started by Cameron Williams, May 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 166 Views

Cameron Williams

I woke up this morning with a bit of a tweaked lower back... Little twinges of pain if I move certain ways. All I did yesterday was a deload handstand workout and FS, which I've been doing for over a year.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this an indication that I went too hard on the stretch? Or could it be unrelated?

Any comments/tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Cam

Stephen Majerle

During the final front split stretches on the wall, if I'm not paying attention my lower back arches and can cause discomfort. So I reset with PPT and get the stretch back on the hip flexor. Are you allowing your lower back to arch excessively during front splits?

Cameron Williams

That's a good point - thanks Stephen. I'll pay special attention to this next week to make sure I'm not arching my lumbar too much (assuming I'm feeling better by then). I thought I was doing a pretty good job of PPT'ing on these stretches but perhaps I need to revisit my form.

Cam

Mark Collins

I often feel this post stretch. This is why they are once a week. If you feel the back is tweaking the next day go a bit easier next time. You are also gaining new range of motion and it can take the brain several days to get use to the changes.

Cameron Williams

Mark, just wondering, have you ever felt back pain upwards of a week after stretching?

It's a week today and my back is still a little sore and tender. It's far better than it was a few days ago when I was walking around like a bit of an old man, but it's still relatively sensitive.

Thoughts?

 

Mark Collins

Only when I did Jefferson curls for the first time. I learnt my lesson then to reduce the intensity of my stretches.

Sounds like you have a bit of inflammation. That usually takes 2 weeks to settle.

Cameron Williams

Thanks Mark.

Update - I did the front stretch series last night and this morning my back seems to be doing fine. I concentrated on proper form (which was helped greatly by the new instructional videos). So hopefully it was just a form issue, and I can avoid trouble in the future by keeping my form in good....form...