This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1

Started by Steve Schlegel, May 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 89 Views

Steve Schlegel

Hi all - posted this elsewhere in the forum but was recommended I post here, too.  I know I have mobility issues, so the question I have is whether it's ok for me to continue doing this exercise at this level or if I need to take it up?  I cannot pause at all at the bottom and feel myself dropping, which tells me it's too low but am not sure how high it needs to be?  Has anyone ever started these simply squatting to a chair or bench without the rolling onto the back?  Thanks in advance.  Steve

 

 

Keegan Yentsch

Not an official opinion, but I'd personally say you are ok here.

Petra Dvorak

You may start spending some time in the "deep squat position" several times a day.

deep squat.png

Cole Dano

The height you are working from is fine. At least for me, the indicator of needing more height is if you can't get back up coming out of the roll.

Focus on taking your knees forward as you squat, and as you near the very bottom of the squat bringing your chest to the knees, knees to the chest to nicely round the back.

Try to hold the deep squat for a moment as  you roll back up onto your feet, before you stand up.

Ryan Reynolds

Cole's suggestions have been really helping me make progress on this one.  I also found holding a small weight as a counter balance very helpful so I could go even slower and exaggerate the downward motion as much as possible.  Like Cole says go down slow work that ankle flexion by getting your knees as forward a possible. Once your as low as you can go try to ever so gently set your but back on the mat. 

I have found the more gently I can set back down on the mat the better my next roll back up is. I started with 5lbs and rolling off a mat as you are.  Over 8 months I've stepped the mat thickness and weight down.  Now I work with no drop, and with a one pound weight.