This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

German Arm Swings / Dislocated Shoulder / Crunching

Started by Todd Fonseca, May 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 152 Views

Todd Fonseca

About 17 years ago after a spectacular jump over a fence, I cleared it good but landed square on my left shoulder and dislocated it something fierce.  The ER guys got it back in to place and I did physical therapy to a point that made the PTs happy and I thought I had good range of motion.

Having started F1, I was doing the german arm swings and with my overhead motion on my right side, nice and silent; however with my left side motion especially when moving overhead, I hear percussion that would make Phil Collins jealous.  I don't have any pain during or after but am wondering if this is something I should limit my ROM or if I am having no pain I should keep doing what I am doing.  Finally, this will diminish with time or should I purchase noise cancelling headphones?

Thanks for your experience.

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

It's been my experience that any noise is an inefficient sign, meaning that your body isn't moving in a good way. While in the short term the noise isn't problematic, in the long term it manifested that those areas: shoulder, knees, and hips, experienced pain by having been put through difficult ROM that it could not handle efficiently. What I've found is that by curtailing my ROM and doing any such movement (that could cause noisiness) with reduced ROM allows me to increase my ROM much more easily, pain-free, and without noise, much, much more quickly than if I had forced it through something that was noisy. 

Todd Fonseca

Thanks Daniel!

Mikkel Ravn

If you have a Bankart lesion (like I used to have before I got reconstructive surgery), the joint capsule is actually torn open on the front side of the shoulder joint. Other diagnoses exist, where the tear is located to the posterior or other locations.

What this means is that the ball is no longer firmly held against the joint socket and may rattle around in there, or, even worse, has a tendency to dislocate again. Subsequent dislocates can come at much lower forces than the original one, since tissue has actually been torn, and may have remained separated .

I have managed to dislocate my shoulder subsequent to my first accident by merely doing a few handsaw cuts with my left hand. Not good.

So, if you are not quite sure what the diagnosis for your shoulder really is, I would want to find out if I were you. It is not inconceivable that some of the F or H iM's could dislocate it again.

 

 

 

Todd Fonseca

Thanks Mikkel!