gymnastic curls

Started by ilove2workout28, November 17, 2009 · 7 Replies · 3,969 Views

ilove2workout28

Does the curl in gymnastics have to be done COMPLETELY in order to get the full benefit of a curl in weight lifting? Is it possible to do it say 1/4 or half way to strengthen the bicep? What do you think of the following exercise at 1:00?

Daniel

Joshua Naterman

So, these are good exercises, but they both aren't supremely useful from a gymnastics perspective. You can start out with a smaller range of motion and, as your strength builds, you can slowly increase the ROM until you are doing full repetitions. I actually like this curl because it accomplishes the 1 thing that weights typically do not: There is still a lot of force being exerted at the top of the curl. Anyone who lifts knows that after you achieve a 45 degree upward angle with your forearm relative to the ground when holding a weight gets easier due to the increased leverage. With what this sailor is doing, this is not the case. An excellent exercise for gymnasts in my opinion, mostly for pre-hab of the elbows.

As for the tricep extention, bah. Useless exercise. You work harder with HSPU by far. It does work though! He just did that to point out that you can in fact do "isolation work" with the body alone.

ilove2workout28

Thank you for your reply. Very interesting; yet I never thought of it like that. As for the HSPU/HESPU, I'm STILL working on a wall free version. I can do MAX 20-30 with a wall (the latter number is a little rare though). I usually kick into the handstand, but my legs usually fall towards my face. I can rarely get 4 decent reps without the use of a wall. Just need more help on it.

Daniel

Joshua Naterman

20-30 is quite a lot, congratulations! I am now doing them on a 4 inch hand elevation, and the extra ROM is kicking my ass. I've gone from being able to do 7 with hands on the ground to barely able to do 1 lol!!! Unbelievably hard. I am honestly surprised.

ilove2workout28

Thanks. You mean you're doing them with the 4 inch elevation against the wall? I did it a few times with 2 chairs, like 18in or so. did like 5 max that way, but extremely difficult.

Joshua Naterman

Holy crap! I'm definitely around a year away from being able to do full range of motion, I think. It sure will be cool though :)

I'm heavy too, 225 lbs at 6'2".

Nick Van Bockxmeer

6' 2" 160 pounds

lightweight :P

but I've only just managed to get my head to the ground and thats at max effort.

Joshua Naterman

Sometimes it's harder to be tall and skinny :)