This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to progress

Started by James Kerslake, May 23, 2016 · 6 Replies · 153 Views

James Kerslake

Each progression has the mastery criteria. My question is if you manage the full number of reps, sets and mobility, but only just and really struggled to get there and barely managed, should you stay at that progression a few more weeks until it becomes more comfortable, or is the idea that as soon as you can achieve the mastery, however difficult and much of an effort it is, to move on?

Jeremy Huston

You'll want to stick with it for another cycle. The next progression is only going to be harder, so make sure you really have the current progression so you have a little gas left at the end.

James Kerslake

When you say cycle, what do you mean, a week? Or is it longer? I haven't heard the concept of cycles before, is there something Ive missed, ie you are supposed to do a progression for X number of sessions before testing mastery? I just test mastery when I feel ready and if I can do it, the next session I move on

Cole Dano

GB Programming is based around a 4 week cycle, the 4th week is always a deload week at 50% reps. So to do another cycle would be three weeks and then deload.

Wayne Grima

I don't know whether you have or not, but it's good to get a moderators nod of approval. I thought 'I had nailed elements only to be humbled.

I don't have a huge sporting/athletic background but started in Oct 15 and my current progressions are

MN/PE1

SL/PE3

SLS/PE2

FL/PE1

sPL/PE3

HBP/PE2

RC/PE1.

Just saying even if you "breeze" the reps and sets in you still might not have the form to advance (not saying you don't)

so it's best to post a check and hear back from the experienced members and moderators, then no guess work.

James Kerslake

Good call. I think im actually going to do that, post strength and mobility videos for every progression I've achieved and get feedback on whether they are considered acceptable. What's the best forum to post them in?

Wayne Grima

At the top of this sub forum, Foundation One you'll see FORM CHECKS.