This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The 20-30g protein thing

Started by Jared Birbeck, May 22, 2016 · 3 Replies · 201 Views

Jared Birbeck

I have put this is the animal protein part but it may be more related to breakfast protein for me at the moment.

I have been seeing a bit recently bagging the value of supplements especially things like protein powders. A lot of it has been directed at people that start having it to 'get big' or lose weight. I have used protein powders on and off for 10 years now mostly as a genuine supplement as I haven't eaten enough. its extra food, but I am not sure it is necessary now having got the basics right. more whole food of the right types at the right times. so pretty well phasing it out.

But as part of the whole discussion around the value of these protein supplements has been a consistent theme of the body can only process 20 - 30g of protein at any one time. The rest goes to waste (urine), to the muscle or to fat having been converted to glucose. Assuming this is true, what impact does activity level have on those amounts? Does age come into play here as well?

Essentially, should we be limiting protein input to the 20-30g or if we are massively active is there some wriggle room here? and what is the time frame of that 20-30g? if I have 20g now, then in an hour and a half or so another 20-30g is that second dose wasted?

 

Jeff Serven

The 20-30g thing is looking at it with a vary narrow perspective. 

The research on protein from legit sources ranges from .6-1.1g per pound of bodyweight. If the 20-30g thing was true then everyone that doest eat 5-8 times a day(only way to break down your requirement without going over 30g) will be fat.

 

Jared Birbeck
1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

TIf the 20-30g thing was true then everyone that doest eat 5-8 times a day(only way to break down your requirement without going over 30g) will be fat.

 

looking at the population...they are. ;) but probably not a protein thing. thanks for that,

Julia Quigley

Jeff, I remember reading a while back that that limit really only applies to what our body can use for muscle recovery, but not to worry because our body use the rest of the protein for so many other functions (cellular repair, for example). 

Is that accurate given what you know?