This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Knee stiffness in Ape

Started by Brian Juszcyk, May 22, 2016 · 3 Replies · 146 Views

Brian Juszcyk

Having some knee stiffness when I try to get into ape.  Can't really tolerate being in full squat position.  Not sure what I did to it, but this is relatively new stiffness/pain.  As little as 3 months ago, used to be able to do for full ATG barbell squats.

any recommendations to stretch out or loosen the knee?  Or other thoughts as to what I can do?  Maybe a modified form that requires a less extreme bend of the knee?  Would daily heat or cold help?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Do the Ape but with the lowest comfortable squat. Make sense? So if you're hunched over with your thighs above your knees and are almost in a bear crawl, so be it. Your knees will get more mobility and strength over time. Just go easy. Trust me, it pays off. 

Stephenie Bowen

So same question- except I have had cartilage removed and lots of knee popping/pain in the low squat position. I can get it to the low squat, but can't move forward unless I get into a quasi-bear crawl! I'll keep working the ape/bear!

Tanya Hill

Hi Stephenie, 

Daniel had a very good point when he said the lowest comfortable squat. It will take some time for your knee and surrounding areas to build a strength to support you fully in the low squat position. The beautiful thing about GST it is a lifestyle, don't rush things, your body will open up when ready.