This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ape / frog position - advice sought

Started by Ken Rogan, May 22, 2016 · 7 Replies · 370 Views

Ken Rogan

Hi, I'm on day 7, but this is relevant to day 1 as well. In the pics below, I can hold a full squat with my arms outstretched, head thrown forward, back rounded. In the other pic you can see my heels raised. Would it be possible for you to tell me what's tight here, i.e. lower-back, calf (?), ankle, other? Thereafter, should I be seeking other stretches to work on these individual tightnesses, or would you recommend just sticking with the positions in fundamentals? A few times in the 'issues' videos your trainer mentions that it can take months to get there - I fully accept this, however I'm wondering if the progress comes through repetition of these positions alone, or are there other stretches that can help? 

Overall I think the course is great, my shoulders are already opening up, I'm committed to sticking with this programme, and have vastly reduced my gym visits and cardio routines with free weights at home (although I still do capoeira twice weekly), so I'm keen to do everything I can to move towards better ROM and mobility. 

Thanks in advance, 

Ken

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

Marek Zapletal

I have exactly the same issue. I assume it is coming from tight calves, but I am also looking for an advice from someone experienced on the forum.

Ken Rogan

Jump in any time here coach / GST staff? If this sort of request for help is difficult to cater to, or is too specific, I'm fine with being told that. I'm hoping it isn't though..

Ken

Joan Borràs

Related to Ken's question (have same issue) and the Frog exercise: in the evolution to a good frog, is it better to do it with heels raised but a good, upright position in the back, or with flat feet but a rounded back? Or what really matters is to go back to stretching (as Ken also suggests) whatever it is that needs to be stretched? Thanks

Ken Rogan

There are now two extra items on Day 1 of fundamentals (crab and ape). Coach Sommer outlines the possible causes of issues with ape/crab in 'Purpose of the Day 1 movements' and then there's a piece about sets and reps. https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/fun-day-1/

Just completed block 2 review, did block 1 review after that, and then went over crab and ape again - roughly 30 mins of exercise, light sweat at the end. 

Steven Gilmore

Ken I can relate to this. I can give you heels down, or I can give you flat back, one or the other! I am interested in the answer to your question. I'm just looking at my positions as an awareness exercise at this point. Feeling the tightness in the calves and achilles, feeling the rounded back. Instead of trying to 'fix' it now with specific stretches, I'm just doing all of the positions daily, getting the feel for them and having faith they will be addressed later on...... They will be coach won't they.......? :)

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

All the photos post here present the same issue. the hands forward it is a way to move the center of gravity and make the balance possible. when the counter weight is moved backward in place the center of gravity moves backward and you cannot balance. the issue is primarily the soleus and achilles tendon.

in the first photo you can see the first type of compensation: akle tends to pronate and the external fingers tend to lift from the floor.

in the second photo above my post you can see a full squat masked by another compensation: feet is slightly turned out and the upper leg bone moves on a different direction compared to the feet.

Both the situation have less to do with lower back and probably only with ankles problem.

Robert Troia

I have very similar issues - I am able to get very low into a squat, but in order to do the ape/frog my ankles have to come off the ground slightly (to allow my back to straighten and arms to remain locked while touching the ground).

For me, this is due to ankle/heel chord/achilles issues (many years of sprained/strain ankles from sports). I have begun doing some Mobility WOD lacrosse ball mashing to resolve tissue impingement. For me, it is definitely helping with ankle mobility (which in turn is helping with my ape form).