This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First experience with FS

Started by Julia Quigley, May 21, 2016 · 2 Replies · 196 Views

Julia Quigley

Well, I just bought the stretch series and thought I'd share my experience with FS yesterday: wow, ow, and yes! 

I have decent hamstring ROM (in a standing pike I can get my hands flat in the floor without a warmup), but I knew I needed work in other areas..and this program is hitting them! Achilles, ankle, and hips/quads will be especially benefit from this protocol. 

Those calf raises were BRUTAL. I did ballet from 10-16, but I have apparently lost a lot of what I gained there. I struggled to keep pace, couldn't make all the reps, and my ankles started rolling out all over the place. YIKES. Also, I can hardly walk today my calves are so sore. 

Thank goodness everything else feels fine. 

My other biggest struggle was the narrow hurdler (have since found the advice I need to modify in the forum--thanks guys!) and the one legged hamstring stretch against the wall. I couldn't get it right so that I was stretching my hamstring. Kept getting pain in the hip of the supporting leg. I read about this pose on the forum, and I'll play around with it on off days, but I may have to post a form check later to get help.

All in all, really excited to see my body improve with this program! 

Kevin Jacobson

Good stuff Julia.  I just finished my 3rd session tonight.  The calf raises were brutal week 1.  I was sore for 4 days after.  2nd workout didn't feel any soreness afterwards.  I also improved on all my hurdle positions which I couldn't get into first two weeks.  Today was the first day I could fold my leg under and do the wide hurdle position.  Most painful stretch for me is stretching the big toe - I can't sit up straight over feet without leaning forward onto a chair for support - and I'm grimacing through the entire stretch. 

I'm considering the Thoracic Bridge series for upper back and shoulder tightness,, but want to get a few more sessions of this FS under my belt.

Julia Quigley

Kevin, don't wait for thoracic! It might be my favorite stretch series (but middle split is tough competition!). There's no crossover between front stretch and thoracic, so need to worry about your body adjusting.