This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training with young daughter

Started by Tom Wood, May 21, 2016 · 2 Replies · 157 Views

Tom Wood

I'm currently working through f1, h1 and the stretch series along with the online classes. Needless to say I love GST live a breathe it and as such my daughter has grown up with me doing it. She would copy some of the things I did but would lose interest after a few minutes. She is now 5 and wants to follow the training with me. I've heard coach mention you can through anything at kids and they can take it, but I also know the foundation series is targeted at adults. Would it be ok for her to follow the foundation series, is she too young or is there different programming/ progressions for children? I know the mobility side of things will be easy for her (unlike me) but she will struggle on the strength area. There are no local clubs at the level of GST and I'd like to get her into training/moving the right way early on. Thanks 

Kevin Herring

I would definitely cherish the father-daughter time.  Above all else it will have benefits in your relationship later.  (you'll grow as a person).  Many life lessons can be hidden in the training time.  Patience, self-honesty, hard work, earn the before you get it, etc... No need to be explicit with it.  Set the rules, follow the rules, enforce the rules all from a framework of love.   Who knows she may see things in your training you don't.

The programs are designed to be self-regulating if you're paying attention.  As an inexperienced adult I have ignored cues or didn't know they were signs.  The more I do the more I determine what I should be paying attention to.

Pay attention to her technique make her stay when she needs to stay, guiding her may help your own progress since children have fewer restrictions (mental and physical).  Her own body will determine when to slow down or move foreword.

Plus add in some unstructured fun time.   This was great for my niece (when she was three) getting to play on some soft mats was a fun game.  Booty Up (front somersault) and all kinds of rolling around.  Plus some Noah's Ark of animal movements follow the leader.  Crab, Bear, Gorilla, Elephant, Crocodile Crawls, kangaroo jumps, Bunny Hops, Waving Chimp, Pony Ride, Cheetah Sprints and whatever funny name I could think of. 

I was worn out when we went done.  Playing is hard work for adults. 

Tom Wood

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently going through fundementals with her and she loves it especially the animal moves. I've also thrown in some of the test moves from tumbling one it's helping me and great getting to spend more father daughter time.