This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anxiety after mastery week

Started by Maxime Desrosiers-Malo, May 20, 2016 · 3 Replies · 230 Views

Maxime Desrosiers-Malo

Starting the strength elements in the Manna progressions 5 months ago, coincided with my experiencing of anxiety attacks. An hour or 2 after the workout, I would feel a constriction around my heart and an inability to run or make a sudden effort. I would also wake up at night feeling like I was having a heart attack. I went to see doctors, had testing done and was diagnosed with anxiety. I took a deload week and had a 4 week cycle where I did not do more than 3 sets of any elements after an extended warmup. After I felt better, I ramped up my training again and after finishing a "mastery" week got the same anxiety and waking up at night. I also got anxiety episodes just from watching and planning the upcoming elements on the GB website.

Obviously there is a psychological component involved. When will coach Sommer release a sport psychology program?;)

I am afraid the stress of performing the mastery sets is taking a toll somewhere. I do not know if there is a physical component associated with the positionning of the fascias around the heart in the L-sit position that produces anxiety... Since the anxiety onset also coincided with winter in Canada, I don't know if it means I should take my training easier in the dead of winter... Or if mentally, the way I approach these mastery sets and anticipate them is flawed... Or, If I'm just training beyond my recovery capacity (although I am following and f4-f3 split on a 3x/week template).

Let me add that I have been training foundations for almost 2 years. I failed mastery many times, had to start over many times, each time overcoming a flaw in how my body connects. I am extremely grateful for coach Sommer's program. It is best tool I have ever found to help me achieve a fundamental mastery of my body. The anxiety is an obstacle I hope to overcome and I will be grateful for your help and guidance.

Thank you,

Maxime Malo

Coach Sommer

You are simply training over your head, straining beyond your comfort level; and the anxiety you feel is a direct reflection of this.

Remember that there are always two components to training; the physical and the psychological.  Some people can psychologically handle immense emotional pressure, but their bodies cannot and begin breaking down.  Others can physically handle immensely intense training, but cannot handle the accompanying psychological pressure that comes with performing at that level.  

There is also a small group who can handle both; but they are rarer than you would expect. 

From your comments it appears that emotionally you cannot handle the current pace and 'expectations' of your current level of training.  Easy solution.  Slow your pace of progression down, and perhaps reduce your number of training days or both.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Maxime, 
Have you tried meditation? I don't need to sell you on the benefits of a mediation practice. I will only say it's less complicated than some make it sound like and the focus and internal calm you gain from it are hard to beat!

You can start with as little as 3 minutes a day! Yes, 3 minutes. If you're new to meditation, I usually recommend doing a guided meditation. There're lots of resources on the web. Here's one: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

Be fully present and aware. Focus on your breath. If a thought pops up notice it and let it go (like a cloud in the sky). That's it!

Paul Gray

Great link Eva, will try those myself!