This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to train shoulder mobility

Started by James Kerslake, May 19, 2016 · 3 Replies · 205 Views

James Kerslake

I am trying to improve my shoulder mobility as holding a weighted bar behind my back and lifting up 90 degrees to horizontal is something I struggle with. I have been working on it for over 2 months now and still cannot elevate fully enough to progress. Does anyone have any thoughts on what exercises and stretches I could do to try and gain this last bit of mobility I need to get to horizontal?

Currently I use a broomstick with very wide grip to lift up behind, hold just above horizontal and stretch out my chest, I then bring the grip in by increments and do the same until I cant do it anymore. I also put my hands on a kitchen worktop behind me, squat down and try and keep my arms straight behind me as my shoulders drop, stretching it out this way.

I have definitely improved since when I started by a fair margin but I have hit a bit of a plateau now and dont feel I am progressing any more. What can I train to improve this?

Alessandro Mainente

You should release chest, pec minor, subscapularis, lats and shoulder capsule. there are different courses that address this problem. from foundations to stretch series.

James Kerslake

Would the Thoracic bridge stretch course address deltoid and pec tightness?

Jon Douglas

The thoracic bridge series will certainly help to open it all up, focusing on passive stretching, which will build a rom you can then fill with H1 weighted work :)