This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How Often???? How Long????

Started by Allen Flores, May 19, 2016 · 23 Replies · 1,145 Views

Allen Flores

I feel like something is missing from this training.   We receive the videos that show us how to do the proper movement, but no schedule for when we should be doing them, how long should we hold positions, how many sets, or really any other sort of training information.   I don't feel it's enough to say do them as often as you can.    I would like to see some sort of routine for each day that says something like

* Do 5 crab walks across the floor

* Do 3 Ape Walks

* Do 7 whatevers x 3 sets

* Practice movements for 20 minutes each day or whatever.

How many minutes a day should we be spending on these realistically to see some improvements?   If we were going to a class, we would not simply be doing whatever we wanted for 50 minutes.   I think it's even more important to be a bit more structured when we don't have a live coach that can see our weakness and give us specific direction on where we need to improve.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it all.  

Thanks!

Allen

Wayne Smith

The follow along section of the video is approx 2-3 mins long.  So you should do a minimum of 2-3 mins once a day, following along with video of the day. Hold for as long as they show in the video.

Feel free to do more on any given day if you are feeling up to it.

Perfectly structured for folks that need to begin a new approach to their health and fitness, and struggle to give up the old ways. Particularly when all these folks are at different starting points.

That's the Tldr; I found by reading the forums, if this is incorrect, hopefully one of the coaches will be along to clear it up.

Good luck with your training.

Cheers

Mark Collins

Reread the course notes. These exercises are not to be done for sets and reps. You are to learn the positions, explore the movements and get your body ready for Foundation. All the other programs have specific guidelines in terms or reps, sets and frequency. 

Allen Flores

Thanks guys.  I must have missed that in the course notes.  

 

Brian Garcia

Where are the course notes?

Also where is the Mark Day complete button?

 

Thanks

Alexey Gerasimov

Mark Day Complete button is only in Dashboard.

Joe Bufkin

I am still a little confused.  In the video's they say that it may take weeks or months to get into the positions.  If that is the case, then it seems like there must or should be some progression in duration or reps.  Are we supposed to keep at the fundamentals until we master the positions before we move into the foundation?

Ian Foo

For me the most important part is to listen to my body as I explore each of the movements. Different people have different imbalances, strengths and weaknesses due to strains/injuries or lifestyle choices. This means there may not be an optimum rule of sets/reps for everyone as some people will be tight in some exercises but be very capable in others. The best thing this approach has done is for me to be more present and aware as I do each movement to notice the subtleties of my own body.

For example, when doing the frog and ape i have enough mobility to get deep into but my lower back is slightly rounded which suggests to me some sort of tightness pulling my hips forward in that position. Similarly when doing Stiff Bear I noticed that a particular part of my hamstring was tighter than others. Still learning and not sure when I'll start piecing it together but I'm just trying to be persistent and perceptive.

Mark Collins
4 hours ago, Joe Bufkin said:

I am still a little confused.  In the video's they say that it may take weeks or months to get into the positions.  If that is the case, then it seems like there must or should be some progression in duration or reps.  Are we supposed to keep at the fundamentals until we master the positions before we move into the foundation?

You will continue to improve with these exercises for years. Fundamentals is for one month to get you ready to start Foundation. Once you get into Foundation you will see why Fundamentals is structured without sets and reps.

Daniel Massey
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:30 AM, Mark Collins said:

Reread the course notes. These exercises are not to be done for sets and reps. You are to learn the positions, explore the movements and get your body ready for Foundation. All the other programs have specific guidelines in terms or reps, sets and frequency. 

There are course notes? Where are they? I would love to read them.

Thanks,

Alexey Gerasimov

It's here:

https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/fundamentals-introduction/

Hemal Ruparelia

Had pretty much the same questions:

1. How frequently/how long should these be done for? - Ok, reading the comments what I thought I had read of no prescribed regiment seems to be true and not a figment of my imagination BUT

 

2. As Joe Bufkin asked, some of these, to get the form as good as in the videos, says (and feels) like it may take weeks/months... Which is fine. But do we have to master one before moving on to the next? Or is it simply a case of trying your best and realising where you are deficient so that when you move on to foundation you are aware..? If that is the case, I feel (though realise may be entirely wrong), that foundation would have been the better place to start :/

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Guido Franchetti

It is the second you say, do your best and take mental notes of your deficiencies. Once you have finished fundamentals and understood in which areas you give your worst there is nothing to stop you from focusing on those areas to bring them to an acceptable level! And when you'll move to Foundation you'll be happy to have been gently introduced to various movements and positions (posterior/anterior pelvic tilt, arch/hollow...) and to have a good warm up in place!

Cory White
5 hours ago, Hemal Ruparelia said:

Had pretty much the same questions:

1. How frequently/how long should these be done for? - Ok, reading the comments what I thought I had read of no prescribed regiment seems to be true and not a figment of my imagination BUT

 

2. As Joe Bufkin asked, some of these, to get the form as good as in the videos, says (and feels) like it may take weeks/months... Which is fine. But do we have to master one before moving on to the next? Or is it simply a case of trying your best and realising where you are deficient so that when you move on to foundation you are aware..? If that is the case, I feel (though realise may be entirely wrong), that foundation would have been the better place to start :/

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

For #2 - it will take weeks, months, years to fully master the positions but you keep going. 

I think of fundamentals as more of an assessment of where you're at, not really a workout you need to do sets, reps, or master. It also sets you up forming a habit with some small exercises to start which will make you much more likely to continue to be successful later

Jon Douglas

These movements will, regardless of how ridiculous you may feel originally trying them, become warmups for your Foundation-level strength work. You will also get that awesome feeling of having them improve week to week; a surprising amount of conditioning can be reaped from basic locomotion done consistency, and it will complement the strength training coming :)

Hemal Ruparelia

Many thanks for the responses!

I'll keep at it.. Look forward to Foundation..

Hemal Ruparelia
On 6/7/2016 at 1:45 PM, Guido Franchetti said:

It is the second you say, do your best and take mental notes of your deficiencies. Once you have finished fundamentals and understood in which areas you give your worst there is nothing to stop you from focusing on those areas to bring them to an acceptable level! And when you'll move to Foundation you'll be happy to have been gently introduced to various movements and positions (posterior/anterior pelvic tilt, arch/hollow...) and to have a good warm up in place!

there is nothing to stop you from focusing on those areas to bring them to an acceptable level! And when you'll move to Foundation..

 

Question regarding this - So would you suggest to bring them up to a certain level or will Foundation be the course that targets bringing them up to said level?

 

Thanks in advance!

Guido Franchetti

You don't need to perfect Fundamentals exercises before starting Foundation, so my advice would be to start Foundation, you'll work plenty on your deficiencies there.

On the other hand if you are making progress, enjoying what you are doing and  it is not the best moment to move into a more structured and demanding training, then nothing wrong in working fundamentals for another few weeks.

Mark Collins

There is no mastery level required for fundamental movements.

Cuneyt Uysal
On June 7, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Jon Douglas said:

These movements will, regardless of how ridiculous you may feel originally trying them, become warmups for your Foundation-level strength work. You will also get that awesome feeling of having them improve week to week; a surprising amount of conditioning can be reaped from basic locomotion done consistency, and it will complement the strength training coming :)

This. 

 

Just let yourself go, and enjoy the process. I'm on Day 8 and I sincerely wake up and look forward to each lesson because of the increased mobility I've proven to myself already  

I'm a super analytical person and normally this approach would drive me nuts. But I've read the forum and enough people have said the same  

So really, instead of agonizing over details, accept this is a lifelong journey of development. You won't hit Olympian level for quite some time ... :)

for reference I spend about 10-20 minutes each day repeating all the prior moved and shapes. Then I spend 10 minutes on the new material. That's been plenty for me to see results as a newbie

 

I sheepishly admit that my wife has caught me crabbing and aping down the hallway at occasion. It's a wonderful way to break up sitting at a desk all day

Michael Beaudin

My understanding was the same as Wayne Smith, just follow along with the 2-3 minute workout to get used to the positions and see what I can and can not do.  However, in the day 7 video, the instructor says "keep practicing and you will get better".  So that brings back the question of what I should be doing besides the follow along videos?

Tanya Hill

Hi Michael, 

Great questions. 

All that is required for the Fundamentals course is to follow along with the video. It doesn't hurt to do more and work the exercises to perfection. 

Once completing Fundamentals many students continue to use the exercises as part of their warm up. 

The GB courses are designed to build an honest and healthy lifestyle. Enjoy the journey and give your body what it needs for longevity. ;)

Michael Beaudin

Thanks Tanya, I am enjoying the journey so far.

Bradley Bugado

Just wanted to say awesome course. I especially like the "Common Issues" vid with Wes Tan. His background as a doctor helps immensely with explaining people's potential issues and how it may affect their workout and how to work with it, not around or through it. Just sayin'.