Anyone ever heard of it? It's basically a leverage device. A class 3 lever, technically. It's actually exactly like bones and muscle!
You take a long lever, let's say 3 feet. You put 50 lbs on one end, secure the other end as a pivot point, and then you have the point you are pulling on somewhere in-between. The farther from the weight you are the more force it takes to lift. So you can effectively lift large loads without owning a billion plates. It's pretty easy to get a ratio of 6 to 10:1, so if you have 100 lbs of weight plates you could work out with 1000 lbs. Excellent for the heavy end of range movements that the old strongmen used to build bone and tendon strength. Over the next few weeks I am going to make one by the end of the month since none of the bars at the gym are going to be able to handle the weights I want to use in a few months. I figured I would mention this because the old-time strongmen were not particularly gigantic men, yet they had absolutely astounding ratios of strength to bodyweight, which can only benefit a gymnast.
This topic will serve to document the construction and use of the device as it comes through the ugly phases of initial design, to a cheap prototype, to a still quite inexpensive but very serviceable production model. I am excited about this project ![]()



the further you hold if from the end the harder the exercises are. This is easily simulated by using a barbell loaded on just one side (though I would advise good collars!).
I lay it flat on the ground with the webbing where the plates would be, then I can stand on the middle of the bar, either in thick boots or with wood on top which forms a buffer/platform.
