This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Groin is sore, getting worse and not sure why

Started by Benjamin Gist, May 17, 2016 · 4 Replies · 179 Views

Benjamin Gist

My left groin is sore and steadily getting worse and I can't figure out what's causing it. It's been a pretty mild irritation for a couple of months or more, and today it's sore enough that I notice it when I walk. I haven't done anything to irritate it for a couple of weeks but it's definitely getting worse. When I was working on side to side squats it would be sore for the first set then it would be fine. 

I've stopped running for the past couple of weeks and have not done the middle split during that time either. I just tried a twisting squat and got a very sharp pain. I don't know my anatomy very well but I think it's the "adductor longus" based on an anatomy image from the web. 

Any thoughts on what might be causing it to get worse or how to fix it? 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Based on my experience from injuring myself and being stubborn. First: Stop doing groin exercises. Twisting squats, side-to-squats, likely all SLS, and MSs completely. Second: see a physiotherapist like yesterday. Do what they say. Get a second opinion. Do what they say. Third: rest it completely for a few weeks. 

 

I was 'lucky' to have been taken away from GB for about six weeks due to school and illness and upon coming back I have been able to ramp up my mobility and have found that my injuries have greatly recovered, even though they're not fully healed. It is to a point, though, where a few daily stretches make it manageable as it get back into my GB routine with PE's and im's.

Andrew Long

I wouldnt say rest completely for that long. definitely rest it but you dont want your hips to seize up from lack of movement for 3 weeks.  keep the hips open with gentle movements but nothing that causes pain.  stear clear of anything that will cause it pain.  make all the movements you do precise, slow and controlled.   in case I wasnt clear enough before, avoid movements that cause pain completely.

Mark Collins

If it is getting worse seek medical help. Do not perform any exercises that cause bad pain.

Benjamin Gist

Thank you all for your comments.

I probably wasn't clear in my post but I haven't been doing anything that causes me specific pain for a several weeks now. But I'm getting more sore every week, or at least not improving. It's just a mild ache all the time now.

I've had a pretty low return on my investment of time and money seeing doctors about these types of issues. Do you have any suggestions on how to find someone who would best be able to help? I live in Seattle if you have a specific recommendation.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions.