This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian Dips of boxes

Started by Levi Dempsey, May 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 167 Views

Levi Dempsey

I just got to the Russian dips (HBP/PE11) in the hollow back press progression. The thing is that I don't have a pair of parallel bars to practice on... I'm using boxes stacked up, and I wanted to check and make sure that that satisfies the range of motion requirements. 

This video is the 4th set on the first day I am doing these in this progression... thoughts? Is there something else I should be using instead of boxes? (I realize that you can't see my feet, but I'm not touching the ground at any point)

 

Mark Collins

The boxes are a good sub for bars.

Kate Abernethy

That's very nice form :). The only thing I would quibble about is that you don't get your full weight on the upper arm support in the bottom position (as the forearms take some of it) - maybe using some yoga-type blocks would help this.

Levi Dempsey

Thank you Kate! By full weight on the upper arm, you mean basically where my armpit is touching the top of the box, in the bottom position? I do usually get down far enough that I am fully on the box, but I do see your point... I'll see what I can do to elevate it a little more. Thanks for the advice!

Mark Collins

I remember the bruises from the bar when I first did these. The boxes will let you land harder as they don't hurt.

Jon Douglas
1 minute ago, Mark Collins said:

I remember the bruises from the bar when I first did these. The boxes will let you land harder as they don't hurt.

Yeah, good times :)

Alessandro Mainente

The execution should be revisited since there is some momentum during the ascent.

personally i do not consider the boxes an alternative of the pbars. my idea is that when the support hits the upper arms the elbows should be lower then the support.

in your case when you hit with the upper arm the box , your elbows are at least at the same level of the rest (shoulders and boxes) , maybe higher compared to the shoulders and you can easily check this from the video you post above. 

then check the elbows position just before the ascent part in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J-1yLnvJLI