This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Physiotherapist looking to learn

Started by CHRISTOPHER LEIB, May 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 187 Views

CHRISTOPHER LEIB

I am brand new to the forum. I just purchased the online foundational series and am excited to undertake the endeavor. I am a physiotherapist and personal trainer just outside of Philadelphia, PA. I am interested to learn how GST can be implemented into physiotherapy sessions. I am hoping there are some physios on here that already use the GST programming and philosophies to rehab patients. Look forward to some quality discussions, and getting in the best shape of my life!

 

Chris Leib, DPT, CSCS

www.movementprofessional.com 

Mark Collins

Welcome Chris. I am a physio in Australia and have used Gymnastic Bodies personally and in the clinic. Be prepared to have your physio knowledge challenged and at times turned upside down. Through personal experience you will realise this form of training is light years ahead of what we have learned as physio's. There are a few physio's and osteo's on the forum so we look forward to hearing from your experiences.

CHRISTOPHER LEIB

Thanks Mark! I have had my physio education turned upside down several times in the last decade, so I fully expect to learn a ton from this experience. Gymnastics always seemed like the ultimate expression of movement education, which I feel is the common denominator between physio and strength and conditioning. Look forward to some great discussions!

Sean Wood

If I may add my two cents to say Welcome, good to see you here and I look forward to reading these discussions and your experiences. Should make for good times. Physiotherapy on its own has always interested me and I'm a big supporter from personal experience. I only wish the Physios around me where as willing to understand this methodology as you are. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 5/16/2016 at 10:21 AM, CHRISTOPHER LEIB said:

Thanks Mark! I have had my physio education turned upside down several times in the last decade, so I fully expect to learn a ton from this experience. Gymnastics always seemed like the ultimate expression of movement education, which I feel is the common denominator between physio and strength and conditioning. Look forward to some great discussions!

 

Sounds like you'll fit right in with GB. 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Chris,

I am also a physical therapist here. Looking at the forum as a graduate study in itself, has accelerated both my personal and professional learning experience.  Coach's program combined with the opportunity to learn from the eclectic experiences of others on this forum, has assisted in my prognosis and education with my own patients. 

Mikkel Ravn

Layman here, but I think my perspective is valid, even for a pro.

Going through the sheer number of exercises in the curriculum and experiencing the transformative effect (individually and in concert) they have on tissue as well as kinaesthetics is something that changes your perspective of human physiology on a number of levels.

I love the feedback loops between executing, reviewing, implementing change, executing etc.

...and the rebellious side of me love freaking people out doing things that are ostensibly 'dangerous' to you: Bodyweight Jefferson curls, inside squats, single leg squats. Yes, I have actually been told that the latter are harmful to my knees, which is contrary to my own experience, namely that my knees have gone from painful to 100% fixed.

So, welcome on board, you'll love it!