This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE4 Speed Skater Squat. One leg stronger than the other one

Started by Mike Ross, May 15, 2016 · 5 Replies · 122 Views

Mike Ross

Hi everyone!

I am practising the Speed Skater Squat from SLS/PE4. I was searching on the forum about it, but I have one question.

With one leg, I can do all the sets and reps with no big problems. But with the other leg, I cant do 5 reps with good form: I cant be as smooth as with the first leg... during the last inches to the floor, either I cant "land and take off" with good form or I cant directly take off without pushing with my feet.

So what do you recomend to train this?
- Do I low the reps from the stronger leg so I do the same number of reps in both? So I just increase reps according to the weaker leg.
- Do I assist myself by grabbing a bar (like ballet bar) when I train with the weaker leg? So I practice both legs and I will have to focus on using the bar less and less.

Also I found this quite serious... having one leg much stronger than the other one... it will affect to all the stability for gst, moving, even walking. Do you recomend me to train more just the weaker leg on the side?

thanks in advance for your advices!

 

Alessandro Mainente

General rule for imbalances:

-the reference you need to use in order to progress is the weak side, ALWAYS.

-so in all the imbalances cases you should use the sets x reps assignment that you can perform with the weak side and use it until you can complete it easy, then move on.

-no matter if you can complete it with stronger side.

Ronnicky Roy

Drop down the reps for your strong side to stay in line with your weak side and require more from your weak side so you always do more reps with that side. If mastery is 15 reps, left side does 16, if it's 30, then you do 32. Something to where the weak side puts in more work in order to catch up faster.

Mike Ross

ok, great! thanks for the advices. I will set the number of sets to perform according to the weak side, and give some extra work to that side too!

Kevin Herring

Just a thought.  Do ten reps a day with the weaker leg.  But never exceed five reps at a time.  Ten sets of one. Five sets of two, three sets of three, two sets of five.  Then increase difficulty going slower, pauses at the weakest points (hold with strength, not resting) BUT don't exceed 30 seconds for the entire set.  Control, technique. Rest between "Strength+Mobility" sets.

You could do a set between exercise change overs during your regular workout on the non-SLS days.

It's a Pavel T. idea.  Low workout volume, moderate weekly volume, avoid fatigue (burnout).

As soon as I can get an inside place to do Hinge Rows, I'll be incorporating this.  (Curse you RC/PE1 !!!)

Christian Nogueira

Also, look into if you have a difference in ankle mobility. Often a difference in ankle mobility accounts more for difference in how difficult we perceive the SLS progression than strength.