This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Working through pain...

Started by Kevin Jacobson, May 15, 2016 · 3 Replies · 230 Views

Kevin Jacobson

I completed 7 full weeks of Foundation 1 today doing a 2 day split 4x per week routine M/T .. Th /Fr- and had a very mild pinch in the front of my right shoulder doing HBP/PE1 last set.  Mobility was painless.  It was the kindof discomfort I'd typically ignore and it'd go away next day. 

I finished up my workout with RC/PE1 modification to just hang at 90 deg top position hangs working to 60 second holds without discomfort.  After the day's workout, I did 4 x 15 second holds off chin bar to strengthen my grip strength ( this was the first day I did this add-on ).

Friday, I had my 2nd day split routine and during the MN/PE1>iM Stiff leg windmill, I felt discomfort in my right shoulder again.  Saturday and Sunday ( today ) still felt some mild discomfort in the front of my right shoulder.  

 

Listening to Coach Summers audio, he talks about shutting things down with pain and not working through it--- what should I be doing here with my workout shedule...?  Should I modify my workout Monday - to just skip on the exercises that bother my shoulder.. and for how long.  I'd like to progress along the program and not have to shelf all the work / progress I've been having.

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

Exactly.  Modifiy your workout as needed.  If there is doubt in your mind, it is never worth the potential risk to work thru joint point.  Not only should that particular exercise be discontinued, but more likely than not I will also terminate the remainder of the workout.  

Often times this approach pays huge dividends as in my experience most minor 'dings' will heal within 2-3 days, if we will just leave the damn things alone.

Nothing derails training more or throws a bigger monkey wrench into progress than having to continually take time off from injury.  Remember it is not just the time of recovery, but also the time of getting back to where you were physically that must be added together.

For example, a very slight pull may require one week of rest followed by a second week of reduced workouts to rebuild for a total of two weeks lost.  Another example, a moderate sprain requires 3 weeks to heal, followed by another three weeks to get back to where you were prior to the injury equals a total of 6 weeks lost.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Kevin Jacobson

Appreciate the response coach.

Atai Ariaz

"Don't work through the pain, work around it."