This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sore forearms and knuckle joints

Started by Stephanie Hedger, May 15, 2016 · 2 Replies · 131 Views

Stephanie Hedger

Hey,

I've just given day one a go and I'm finding that my forearms and knuckles are sore (the knuckles have started to crack again like there's a lot of pressure in them) it appears to be from the crab not the ape because I didn't put much pressure on the knuckles during the ape. I get this a lot when I haven't specifically been working wrists. Is this something that you've seen before and if so should I be worried about it? It generally goes away before too long but it does make typing uncomfortable. 

Thanks,

Steph

Coach Sommer

Hi Steph,

It sounds as though that your wrists are currently so deconditioned that we are going to have to very gradually increase the intensity of your wrist work.

This is however not necessary a huge problem.  Remember that the purpose of these Fundamentals movements is not to make you start off as a stellar athlete, but rather to perform as diagnostics to identify previously unsuspected mobility deficits.  When viewed in this light, it appears that the Crab has succeeded nicely in this instance. 

We are now aware that your wrists lack extension strength, that your wrists and fingers lack mobility and that your forearms are very tight.  Sounds like a classic case of too much desk work compounded by a ton of day to day typing.  We will begin to address these issues specifically a little further down the road, but for now it is enough to have identified that the issue exists.

It is possible to scale down the intensity of the Crab.  Try piking the hips and dropping them down almost to the floor which will allow you to keep the majority of your weight on your feet and reduce the load on your wrists.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stephanie Hedger

Thanks Coach,

This never would have occurred to me because I barely felt the stretch when I did it and can get into position pretty easily. I've lowered it tonight and it's not as severe through the forearms and I'll keep working at it until the video's come back up. 

Thanks for the prompt feedback,

Steph