Coach,
I tried the crab and the ape, but can't do either for more than literally a few seconds. What modifications do you suggest for those of us who can't do the proper form or can barely do them?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Richard Winer, May 15, 2016 · 2 Replies · 148 Views
Coach,
I tried the crab and the ape, but can't do either for more than literally a few seconds. What modifications do you suggest for those of us who can't do the proper form or can barely do them?
While we wait for a coach to reply, I'll try to share what's helped me.
Regarding Ape: in the video he recommends holding onto a chair in front of you in order to "drop your butt down". I think this is to prevent falling backward while keeping your heels on the ground, which is a priority in this "ape" position. It seems this position is very focused on achilles mobility. So, from your squat position, hold a chair/bed frame in front of you while you slowly bring your heels to the floor (you would fall backward if you didn't hold the chair/bed). I've gained some flexibility by holding the bed and kind of pulling myself forward; I feel the most resistance in my ankles/achilles. Again, I'm not a coach but after listening to the dialogue in the video a few times, I think this is better than squatting without our heels on the ground.
Keep it up!
With the crab, most modifications are going to be along the lines of not lifting too high. In extreme cases it could even be just sit on the floor with your hands behind you and try to get your behind any amount off the floor.
As you keep working with it you can try to determine where the limitation in mobility (or perhaps strength) is. For example do you feel it more in the shoulders or thighs. The one place you don't want to feel crab is the lower back, so if you feel it there reduce your ROM.
With ape some will find tight calves will prevent the heels from dropping, for others tight hips will keep the back side from dropping, or both.
Holding on to something solid will help, table, door jamb etc. In some cases sitting on a stack of yoga blocks or similar will help to be able to 'release' the tightness.
Again, as with crab, the place you don't want to feel ape is the lower back.