This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Horrific Tuck Up

Started by Jamie Irving, May 15, 2016 · 12 Replies · 558 Views

Jamie Irving

I can't complete 1 'Tuck Up' without swinging or timing the movement and even then it's a struggle to get 3.  I have never been able to complete 1 sit up without having my ankles held.  Once they are held, no problems cranking out 50+.  It feels like i'm lacking any strength in whatever muscle it is that enables both sit ups (unheld ankles) and 'Tuck Up'.  

Can anyone suggest an isolation exercise to assist with strengthening this muscle....whatever it maybe?

Julian Aldag

When your feet are anchored then the hip flexor can take over the brunt, drawing focus from the abdominals. This brings us to the conclusion that you have week abs! (And most likely compression strength to keep those knees close and tight with the abs).

1st, a video of your technique would go a long way in helping. If might just be that you are not 'pulling' with the arms enough in front of you.  Also it could just be the fact that you are extremely weak in this movement. If this is the case, you could further scale it by aiming to hold the top tuck position for sets of 60s  (This idea is from Coache's recommendation of holding the top position for hinge rows if unable to complete a single row). 

 

 

John Cunningham

I have had and still have issues with this element at first it was general control of the movement, I think I was using momentum to achieve a rep but still I never felt happy with it. So as Julian said I started practicing holding the top position for time which has helped tremendously and now I feel more in control of the movement. My issue now is compression so now I practice getting into as much the top position as I can and then do about 15 pulses to try and compress even more. That my friend is a real ab killer. 

So try these as see how it goes.

Greg White
On 5/15/2016 at 0:19 PM, John Cunningham said:

then do about 15 pulses to try and compress even more.

Hi John,

Can you describe these pulses? 

Cheers

Leonhard Krahé

I guess it would go like this: Go into top position and hold. From there, try and compress some more for a moment and go back to regular holdable top position. Rinse and repeat.

(I should give this a try, too!)

John Cunningham
48 minutes ago, Leonhard Krahé said:

I guess it would go like this: Go into top position and hold. From there, try and compress some more for a moment and go back to regular holdable top position. Rinse and repeat.

(I should give this a try, too!)

Exactly as Leonard describes.

 

Greg White

Thanks John / Leonhard. :)

Leonhard Krahé

Wow, I just tried the pulses and they are way harder than I thought.

Leigh Kettle
On 15/05/2016 at 5:50 AM, Jamie Irving said:

I can't complete 1 'Tuck Up' without swinging or timing the movement and even then it's a struggle to get 3.  I have never been able to complete 1 sit up without having my ankles held.  Once they are held, no problems cranking out 50+.  It feels like i'm lacking any strength in whatever muscle it is that enables both sit ups (unheld ankles) and 'Tuck Up'.  

Can anyone suggest an isolation exercise to assist with strengthening this muscle....whatever it maybe?

Hey Jamie

just came across your post after yet  anOther session struggling doing tuck ups 

how are you getting on with this move . I've posted before regarding this as I have similar issues .  In a conventional sit up I can't for the life of me lift up without my feet being anchored .ive been on this progression since I started gst in oct 2016 going back and starting again a few times but still when I try a sit up I have to have my feet anchored . Also as my shoulder flexion is a work in progress I'm unable to lie fully flat down with a flat lower back/ppt so feet and arms touching floor  st the start of the rep , coupled with poor compression at top of the move this exercise is absolute nightmare for me . I know I've spent far too long on this already .

just wondered if you had improved with any tips you may have  

many thanks

leigh 

Jeff Barletta

Hey Leigh,

Have you had any progression with the tuck-ups? I'm having the same issue as what you described. I seem to have to swing my arms in order to achieve a rep.

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeff,

Please feel free to post a form check for us. It always helps us to see. 

Leigh Kettle
13 hours ago, Jeff Barletta said:

Hey Leigh,

Have you had any progression with the tuck-ups? I'm having the same issue as what you described. I seem to have to swing my arms in order to achieve a rep.

Hey jeff

im definitely seeing improvement just by continuing every week working on them. my compression at the top is improving by incorporating the hold at the top that Everett recommended into sets throughout the week . I literally just get myself into the top part of the tuck up and squeeze as hard as I can trying to sit upright and bring my knees into my chest . (Around 60s total hold time ) It's brutal but seems to be working . If that's too much scale it to maybe 4x15 good form .

the bottom portion of the tuck up is still being worked on but is improving only through repetition. The form check submission like Everett says will be sure to help you here .throughout the day again when you thinking about it just work on that bottom portion . Lay flat,arms overhead, initiate the tuck up by a definite engagement of the glutes and quads, toes pointed and as you about to tuck up think about strong abs doing the bulk of the work . This has helped my I hope it can help you. As I say repition and consistency are what you need here ....

good luck and let me know if I can help any further, explain better etc 

leigh

Jeff Barletta

Leigh and Everett,

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'll record a video next core workout while incorporating your advice, Leigh.

Thanks again