I had shoulder surgery about 8 months ago- distal clavicle excision, subacromial decompression, and a biceps tenodesis. Any specific recommendations regarding program modifications. I'm exceptionally tight throughout the shoulders and expect this will improve with time. @Coach Sommer
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Prior shoulder surgery
Started by Mike Connor, May 15, 2016 · 2 Replies · 124 Views
Hi Mike,
Wow, they really went to work on your shoulder. How long and how bad were you suffering with the shoulder before the op? Which shoulder (left vs right), which is your dominant hand, what is your age, what do you do occupation wise and sports wise?
Sorry for all the questions but they are pertinent to any answers we give also.
Seeing as you have had a portion of your clavicle removed, your biceps tendon repositioned (did they remove a portion also) you will not have your usual mechanics around that joint. I mean angles, lines of pull, rotation of the humeral head etc, will be slightly different.
My main advice would be take it very slowly and do not push to hard. For all the movements and positions, don't spend more than 10-15 secs at a time performing them, just to get a feel of how the shoulder is responding and handling the work. As the op was 8 months ago, most of the soft tissues will have healed well, but remember that the connective tissues take a much longer time to remodel. You will have had a chunk of time with the arm in a sling post op, some muscle atrophy and shortening of tissues perhaps like in the joint capsule.
Little and often is good, if you get any pain in the shoulder let in subside before recommencing.
I'll await your answers. Best wishes,
Wes
Hi Wes. Thanks so much for the response. I recently purchased F1 and have been progressing relatively nicely with fundamentals. After the years in the Army I'm certain my pec minor and biceps tendons are exceptionally tight.
Thanks so much for addressing this and my apologies for the late response. I didn't realize that you had answered them in this forum.
Here are the answers to your questions-
How long and how bad were you suffering with the shoulder before the op? I've had shoulder pain for about 5 years prior to the surgery. I did rounds of PT and HEPs prior to considering the surgery.
Which shoulder (left vs right), Left
which is your dominant hand, Right
what is your age, 40 years old
what do you do occupation wise and sports wise? I'm a Neurosurgery PA (physician assistant). Recreationally I enjoy climbing, BJJ, and lifting weights. I have decreased lifting weights in favor of calesthenics these days, but still perform the squat, deadlift and press.
Thanks!