This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bicep Tendonitis

Started by Brian Muckells, May 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 191 Views

Brian Muckells

Hi Guys, after spending a lot of money on chiro and physio for my shoulder pain over the last 12 months which I've been told is bicep tendonitis (From Boxing and stupid weighted pull-ups without knowing much about tendons etc) I've bought the fundamentals, I've just started holding the crab position for the time being as I'm getting a lot of bicep/shoulder tightness Ive been told the only way to help my tendon is to stretch then strengthen it so I'm hoping fundamentals will help but I'm taking 1 day at a time, Has anyone had any dealings with bicep tendonitis win the past?

 

Thanks in Advance

William McGowen

I'm new here, and just started this program to help improve my mobility. But I am familiar with something called Active Release Technique. (ART)

ART practitioners have prevented people from having to have surgery to treat tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome. It can be painful while it's being done, but you will feel a lot better after a few treatments.

Brian Muckells

Thanks William I'll have a look into it 

Coach Sommer

Hi Brian,

We are getting well ahead of the Fundamentals curriculum here, but since it has come up, and won't interfere too much with your Fundamentals training, I will cover it briefly here.

The bad news:  true biceps tendonitis is a bitch and seems to take forever to resolve.  8+ months in my experience.

The good news:  it can be resolved, but you are going to develop world class patience in the process of doing so.

What helped mine was focusing on straight arm shrugs in a variety of planes of movement (Thank you, Wesley Tan!).  Sometimes I did many planes in a single day and other days I focused on only a couple.  Here are the shrug variations I performed and still use when my shoulder acts up, everything was performed for relatively high reps 15-30+.  All are performed with straight arms.

- Scap shrugs with in a front support or pushup position.  If these are too intense for the designated rep range than substitute an incline pushup position.

- Row shrugs grasping a bar with feet on the floor and body either horizontal or inclined.

- Dip shrugs in an upright dip position.

- Pullups shrugs with the body hanging relaxed in a slight arch and the feet on the floor.

ART is also outstanding, but it can be challenging (and very PAINFUL!) to find a therapist who is really good at it.  If you happen to be in the San Diego area let me know as I know an outstanding therapist there.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Brian Muckells

Hi coach 

 

thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it, I live in Scotland I'm afraid but I'll look up ART I work on a ship and I have 2 weeks left of my trip and hopefully getting a MRI scan through our company health care, I'll Carry on with fundamentals but I won't over do it I'll also impliment your advice on the straight arm work, great podcast with Tim Feris I just wish I found GST years ago but better late than never 

 

thanks again coach 

 

Brian