This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 4 - back position

Started by Tobias Neuffer, May 14, 2016 · 2 Replies · 228 Views

Tobias Neuffer

I wonder if my lower back should touch the ground in the back position. Mine doesn't unless I flex my abs really hard. But if I do so I find it very difficult to stretch our my arms at the same time. Is my hollow back causing this and when yes, is there something that can be done about it?

I am looking forward to your response!

Thank you!

Tobias

Nicholas Wawrzyniak

Tobias,

From the Day 4 Common Issues video, the lower back should be pushed into the floor while holding this pose. However, if you are relaxed and resting between poses there will be a natural arch in the lower back causing a small gap between your back and the floor. Perhaps placing a support (pillow, yoga block) underneath your upper back would help, or simply not extending your shoulders fully overhead. Can someone else with more experience comment as to whether or not this would be the current adjustment?

I'm having a similar problem with excessive lumbar arch, but rather than shoulder ROM I am having issues with pelvic/hip ROM. Mine stems from hyperlordosis and a high degree of anterior pelvic tilt due to weak abdominals and very tight hip flexors (iliopsoas, rectus femoris). When contracting the abdominal wall to push the lumbar spine into the floor, my legs have a tendency to flex at the hips, making it impossible for me to keep my legs straight on the floor. Thus, I end up in a position that resembles a sit-up.

Should this be modified by placing a pillow or support under the legs, or would that simply exacerbate the problem?

Matt McCormack

@Tobias Neuffer - as per the common issues video, sounds like your chest/shoulder mobility needs improving and/or thoracic spine mobility. Just basing this on the video of course, so I'll defer to a coach/moderator on this instead.

@Nicholas Wawrzyniak this sound like my problem too - keeping legs straight, I can only get feet to about 30cm above the ground before the lower back comes off the floor. You're suggesting addressing hip flexors/quads/anterior pelvic tilt (and of course, ab strength) has helped you?