On my days off from strength training, I am looking for some suggestions for a tumbling/acrobatic workout that will get the old heart pumping, without seriously undermining my recovery for strength training. Since I work an office job, I find that I need some sort of exercise most days of the week, but I can't to something intense everyday. I do high-intensity intervals at the end of my strength workouts 2-3 a week, usually Tabata intervals. So on the off-days, I just want something fun and light, just to get the blood moving. I used to run for about a half hour, but with the weather turning cold, and the days short, I am looking for options at home, especially so I can keep near the kids. I have a small mat space, and have dickered around with rolls, cartwheels, handwalking, some of Ido's lesson, and quad. movement, but I was still looking for ideas, or wondering if anyone else had used tumbling for a more aerobic type workout.
Tumbling recovery workout
Started by Ryan Libke, November 11, 2009 · 3 Replies · 2,556 Views
You can add in animal walks or some parkour drills, but basic tumbling would work.
HS walks, forward roll to HS, kick to HS forward roll, side cartwheel, lunge cartwheel, lunge cartwheel with hurdle, cartwheel series, etc
Aerobic workout? I'm not sure how to do that with limited space, but we would do laps around the floor and at certain intervals do a diagonal tumbling pass and sprints. Maybe add in a jump rope interval instead of running and then substitute a tumbling pass for a skill that your floor space can accommodate.
I tried the workout last night, and it worked decently well, in the sense that I got the heart rate up, had some fun, and I do not feel too worn out today. The first time I tried it, I overdid it, adding some light weightlifting movements and kettlebell exercises; the next day the fatigue took away from my strength training.
The smaller space does make it a little difficult, but I can manage a few tight rolls or one cartwheel before having to reverse course. I have to run in place or do jumping jacks inbetween tumling moves while I recover from the spinning. :? I should try some parkour moves...maybe something to vault over...