This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hurt Lower Back

Started by Adam Gardiner, May 13, 2016 · 2 Replies · 160 Views

Adam Gardiner

Hey Gang,

On day one of fundamentals, I tried to do the ape, and I've been in a lot of back pain since.

I am not positive I will be able to continue, but I want to try.  Hoping y'all can suggest some hip releasing movements I can do until I am able to more easily squat into an ape, so I don't have to be sidetracked with the whole program.

thanks!

Greg McDonald

In the past, I've held onto a doorknob (door closed) while slowly lowering myself into a squat.  I find this works better than keeping a chair in front of me as is suggested in the video.

Cory Fair
7 hours ago, Adam Gardiner said:

Hey Gang,

On day one of fundamentals, I tried to do the ape, and I've been in a lot of back pain since.

I am not positive I will be able to continue, but I want to try.  Hoping y'all can suggest some hip releasing movements I can do until I am able to more easily squat into an ape, so I don't have to be sidetracked with the whole program.

thanks!

Hi Adam,

It's important to note that the movements won't create a new issue but rather are illustrative of an existing problem. Your priority rather than giving up on the whole program will be to start better understanding what has placed your body in such a compromise. Depending upon what the root cause turns out to be the solution will either be patient and consistent GST™ work to remodel the soft tissue or a competent therapist. Without knowing more it's difficult to have any idea which category it falls under. 

What would be helpful to know:

-Upper, mid or lower back pain?

-What part of getting into or doing the movement triggers the pain?

-What other exercises or movements that you know cause similar pain?