This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

regression for windmill?

Started by Mike Kelly, May 13, 2016 · 3 Replies · 160 Views

Mike Kelly

I am restarting Foundations and did MN/PE1 IM(windmills) today and I think I might need a progressions to safely build up to these?  I have tight hamstrings but I don't get low enough in movement to even feel hamstring stretch as my sides(obliques/QL) is super tight.  I get maybe 6" down from the start position in the windmills.

Is there a easier stretch or mobility drill(s) that I can do 5-6 days a week to help my windmills?

thanks

Mikkel Ravn

I think you should post a video - Several mistakes can be made that more or less take the hammies out of the equation.

Eva Pelegrin

Mike, make sure you have a good APT (anterior pelvic tilt), meaning hinging from your hips while performing your windmills. Otherwise, you won't feel the stretch in your hammies; not until you intentionally start tilting your pelvis forward. A stiff leg GM (Good Morning) is a good building block for that. 

Coach recently mentioned QL Walk in his last podcast. I think that it would be a good thing for you to try. You can find my description here:


Mike Kelly

@mikkel I am not that tech savvy but maybe I can figure out how to post video but I think most of the reason I couldn't feel hamstrings was my inability to get further than a few inches from the top of the movement due to super tight "sides of my waist".  A few years back I was doing Yoga and made a lot of progress on the triangle pose(very much like windmill but with wider stance) so out of curiosity I gave that a try this morning after the workout and I was 2 feet less flexible than I remember!

@Eva I will try the APT tip and QL walk next time I do this workout.

This got me thinking more - in the last year I have done a lot of work with KB turkish get ups and they have helped my low back tremendously I think by strengthening my sides.  18 months ago I could barely hold a side plank for more than a few seconds and often had low back pain.  While I haven't tested a side plank hold I am certain I could hold it much longer.  Maybe this increase in strength has come with some tightness?