This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST 2.0 + fat loss + BJJ

Started by Mike Kelly, May 13, 2016 · 8 Replies · 521 Views

Mike Kelly

I just wanted to introduce myself and start a journal of sorts.

I am 46 year old who gave Foundations a 4 month go in 2014.  I stopped because I hurt my low back doing the MN/PE IM(windmills).  Since then I have lost some weight and gained fitness with other training programs(mostly KBs and body weight).  Right now I weigh #165 with 35" waist so I still have some work to do but I am happy with progress since I was ~#225 6 years ago.  

For now the plan is to split the Foundation work in two and follow a A/B split 2-3 days per week.  I will also be training BJJ 2-3 days per week.  I am already doing some extra flexibility/mobility work most days so I plan to supplement this with any problem IMs.

I am looking forward to some new challenges as I am getting a bit board with TGUs, weighted chins, weighted push-ups that have been the bulk of my strength training the last 6 months.

Any and all comments/feedback is appreciated :)

 

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Mike,
Welcome back! Sounds like a plan. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I think the forum members appreciate the gesture. I do.

Mike Kelly

I have done each element and looked over the program.  I will be doing each element once per week spread out over 3 days with some extra work most days on the IMs.  I am going to spend a little extra time working flexibility needed for MN and strength need for RC.  I think this will work with my 3 days per week of BJJ so I am going to roll with this for a few weeks and see how I feel.

I was also surprised to see no more arch body holds - the russian twists are WAY easier!

Mike Kelly

One month into GST:

Ten days ago I hurt my shoulder in BJJ.  Not even sure exactly how but at end of class I had to have a wrestling match with my T-shirt to get it off!  Feeling much better but I am definitely on a break from BJJ for a few months and I am skipping the scap shrugs and lat leans for a bit while it heals up.

I got to mastery level on russian twists but I don't think I can hold the side plank position for the next progression.  I guess I will stay with russian twist for a bit longer.  Should I add reps or increase the weight?

Jon Douglas
33 minutes ago, Mike Kelly said:

One month into GST:

Ten days ago I hurt my shoulder in BJJ.  Not even sure exactly how but at end of class I had to have a wrestling match with my T-shirt to get it off!  Feeling much better but I am definitely on a break from BJJ for a few months and I am skipping the scap shrugs and lat leans for a bit while it heals up.

I got to mastery level on russian twists but I don't think I can hold the side plank position for the next progression.  I guess I will stay with russian twist for a bit longer.  Should I add reps or increase the weight?

I prefer to increase the weight.

Once you are able to move  forward on these maintaining a single 60r set is a useful warmup that can be increased in weight quite fast. 

Mike Kelly

Two months in and still dealing with shoulder injury that is ever so slowly getting better.  So I have had to continue to tweak the program a bit, but I have still made some progress:

- down #6 pounds on the scale

- mastery on HBP/PE1 and SL/PE1 but can't yet progress to next level due to shoulder

- gained a lot of strength on ring rows

- worked up to 60sx4 on FL/PE1

I added in some shoulder dislocates and J-curls last week with just broom stick.  The J-curls really lit up my lower back with just 5rx2.  My P-chain is way too tight so I plan to keep these in the mix but will not add weight for a while.  Since the last 2 months of foundation training has been lots of muscle endurance(higher reps with short reps), and since I can't follow some of the progressions(shoulder injury) I am going to switch 5-8 rep ranges with a bit more rest and some extra work to work on shoulder for the next 6-8 weeks.  I am going to keep up with all the IMs and as much as I can keep the PEs from this program.

 

Julia Quigley

Hi, Mike! I'm rehabbing a shoulder issue as well, which is similarly limiting my participation in the program.

After I posted a form check for Russian twists and got approval for mastery, a forum coach advised me to move on to SL PE4 (which has no shoulder involvement) and cycle back to PE2 and PE3 once my shoulder is all clear.

I recommend posting a form check on your Russian twists to clean up any form nits, and ask a coach for approval to follow a similar path (unless they have another suggestion for you).

Push ups and planks are out for me right now, so I've I'm out of practice for two strength elements (I'm still working through those iMs).. But at least I'm training SL again :)

Mike Kelly

You read my mind :)  I am doing several more "advanced" PEs/IMs that don't bother my shoulder and plan to circle back sometime in the future.

Thanks for the advice, hope your shoulder heals up fast.

Mike Kelly

I am still grinding away.  I finally got diagnosis on my shoulder and started PT last week.  I have a slap tear and possible bicep tendinitis.  I am also getting treatment for some tendinitis in hamstring and lateral knee.  I have dupuytren's structure in left hand but no treatment needed.  Even while I feel a bit broken I am psyched to be getting some treatment and I am looking forward to training pain free again in the future.

I am down another #1 but I am putting the weight loss goal on hold.  For the next 3-6 months I am going to focus on PT, and trying to gain both strength and muscle while keeping my weekly waist measure the same.  I have made some gains with GS as ring rows have gotten easier and I am now doing push ups on paralletes.  I am also feeling like I might be able to start J-curls with #5 this week.