Hand placement in planche, and sore forearms.

Started by Martin Ribbestam, May 13, 2016 · 2 Replies · 2,393 Views

Martin Ribbestam

Hi

Are there any recommendations for hand placement for the planche? I have struggled with sore forearms (I would describe the feeling almost as a shin splint) from doing planche work with my fingers pointing almost straight forward with a slight outward rotation. Is this the reason why the later progressions in the planche are done on parallettes, to take load off the flexor muscles in the forearm? I do understand that I now have to back down on my training to heal the soreness, but do you have any recommendations on how to progress next time? Or is the only way to slow the pace down and gradually increase the load?

 

Best regards

Martin

Ryan Hutchins

Hand placements? Whatever you feel comfortable with. I started with fingers forwards but i ran into the same problem as you. Since then i've done first knuckle with fingers back. 

Parallettes are used simply because every good gymnast could do with a pair of parallettes, they allow so many elevated exercises and transitions to be done that would be nigh impossible on the floor without superb flexibility, and they do save your wrists from excessive strain. 

Keep doing wrist pushups and wrist flexibility to strengthen and stretch your wrists. As for me 99% of my planche training is done on the rings, pbars, and parallettes, 

Let me know if you need any other advice! Keep training hard

Martin Ribbestam

Thank you for the feedback Ryan, I appreciate it!