This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overgrip Dislocate Grip

Started by Tim Yates, May 13, 2016 · 9 Replies · 276 Views

Tim Yates

Hi,

I've just started working on standing overgrip dislocates and am having trouble figuring out the correct technique. I'm finding that I can do the dislocate quite easily with my hands reasonably wide apart, but that as my hands come behind my back, my shoulder doesn't fully rotate and I lose the grip with my outer fingers (pinky, then third, then second) so I'm no longer gripping the bar with my whole hand. Below is an example YouTube clip where the guy does the same thing as me (actually his is more extreme):

From about 18 seconds you can see that he does the dislocate, but when his hands are behind his back he is only holding the bar with his first finger and thumb, not with a full grip. In most of the vidoes I can find including the GB ones, people are holding with a full grip for the whole time.

My question is, does this matter? and if it does, what's the cause and how can I fix it?

Many thanks!

Ryan Reynolds

Hey Tim just post a video of you if possible.  Then you can get critiques of your form rather than this guys.  Yes it matters, bending elbows and releasing grip will allow you to bypass sticking spots in your mobility.  Work at a width you can do with strict form and gradually over months of consistent work that width will lessen and lessen.

Also don't do them as fast as he is.

Alessandro Mainente

The incapacity of holding the grip in supine version is due to:

-tight brchialis

-tight brachiroadialis

-tight pronator

-tight chest and subscapularis.

Personally only the range of motion where you can hold firmly the bar with all the fingers is considered appropriate.

Tim Yates

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies, and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've only just had a chance to record a video of myself doing the exercise. I've posted it below.

I've recorded myself from three angles so you can see what's going on. The second side-on one shows clearly how I'm not able to fully grip the bar with my whole hand. It doesn't seem to make any difference how far apart my hands are, I still can't grip the bar for the whole movement even though I can do the stretch reasonable easily. I can do the stretch with my hands quite a bit closer together than in the video and my grip does the same thing. It's like there's a particular rotation or axis of movement that my shoulder isn't doing at all. Maybe it's just a case of repeating the  exercise until the movement gets better, but it doesn't feel like that's going to work.

Many thanks!

Tim

Alessandro Mainente

When chest it is too tight as in your case makes simply impossible to externally rotate the upper arm, this involves for sure also the mechanic of forearm bones that tend to the pronation, making the supine grip impossible.

Cole Dano

Your grip issue can be related to limited supination and external rotation.

Wrist Stretch 1 can help if this is your issue, just pay special attention to rotating your fingers as far back as possible.

Reality and ideal don't always meet up right away, just stick with it and don't force it. Time is your friend here.

Eva Pelegrin
1 hour ago, Cole Dano said:

Reality and ideal don't always meet up right away, 

Truth bomb.

Tim Yates

Many thanks for the replies. It's interesting that chest tightness is causing the problem. I'm a classical guitarist and so many years of hunching over the instrument has probably contributed significantly. I find the same with some of the hand flexibility exercises.

I don't feel any stretch in my chest when I'm doing the exercise so I'm not sure that I'm actually stretching my chest by doing it. Are there any further stretches that I could do to accelerate my progress or focus more directly on the problem? I'm doing Wrist Stretch One as part of my usual workout and it seems to be going fine. I'm not exactly sure what movement it is that I need to be making to resolve the problem!

One final question! Should I continue with bringing my hands together on the dislocate and adding weight as if the grip was ok and expect the grip to catch up over time, or should I stay where I am with an unweighted bar and keep working on that until the grip improves? I don't want to injure myself, but I also don't want to hang back if it's not doing me any good!

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

Cole Dano

Keep bringing the hands in. 

Tim Yates

Great - thanks Cole.