Flairs advice

Started by Ian Hogg, May 13, 2016 · 3 Replies · 1,129 Views

Ian Hogg

Hi all,

I've always wanted to be able to do Flairs for no other reason than that I think they look super cool :D I've built myself a Flair training device and had my first go on it yesterday. I'm looking for any advice on what I should be looking to do to improve, I've watched a few youtube tutorials to get an idea but they've all been by bboys and along the lines of "kick your leg to your head here".

I'm looking for more general guidance too about what good Flairs should consist of. Any drills, preps gratefully received. I'm working on my shoulder extension and middle split already. The video is the first time I've ever done them so I'm just really guessing at correct technique at the moment. It's 6 mins long as I wanted to record a chronological progression to see how I improved with an hour's practice but please feel free to skip to near the end (unless you esp like fails ;)).

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqnvDQSWwwc

Many thanks!

Ian

Alessandro Mainente

I need to be honest, you are wasting your time.

Circles on high mushroom should be learned first, fast, with good technique and body extension (both hips and shoulders should be maximally extended). then we can talk about flares.

Ian Hogg

Thanks Alessandro, I've looked at it again. In regard to circles would shoulder extensibility as well as affecting getting both hands on the mushroom/pommel etc also affect the amount of lean one is capable of achieving. I notice from the video that I don't lean out at all on my right arm I assume because I have to place it too far out to the side as that is the arm I am putting down behind me? And because it is so far out to the side I can't get my weight over it? 

My extension has improved since your last advice on my circles I can now touch pinky fingers behind me with arms straight which I could never get close to before and I'm continuing to work it.

I'm just trying to make sense of the correct technique I should be aiming for with circles. As a ideal principle my aim should be big extension and as much lean and speed as I am capable of? Is that correct? 

Thanks again,

Ian

Alessandro Mainente

With no extension is difficult a good circle, also with my kids I notice a impressive improvement after completing the straddle planche especially on hips extension. basically if you are very proficient with manna , your circles should have the necessaru extension strength support.