This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation v Fundamentals v Other

Started by Paul Gracy, May 13, 2016 · 4 Replies · 337 Views

Paul Gracy

I would like to be able to do a proper handstand in 6 months, but I'm nowhere close to that at the moment, so...

Is that realistic for a sort of not in horrible shape person?

Can you do Fundamentals and Foundations and Handstand at the same time, or should you really finish Fundamentals, then do Foundations, then do Handstand?

I understand I have a bit (huge ridiculously large tons!) of work to do on shoulder mobility (waaaaay too much time at computers with bad posture), but is it ok to work on kettlebell presses while I work through Fundamentals to start increasing the available strength in the shoulders (I also don't want to lose whatever I have), and I'm trying to lose some weight without losing muscle mass so I would like to do more exercises than just the Fundamentals.

Also, the Daily videos should really include advice on what to do if you are having trouble (due to mobility, balance, strength, etc.) That is, look at your 40-55 year old clients and see what problems they have most often and address those in the video.  (For example, "If you can't do crab due to wrist mobility, then here is a temporary way to do it while you work on your wrists" -> have demonstration).

I hope it's not too many questions all at once.

Thanks

Paul

 

Coach Sommer

Given how you have described your current shoulder mobility; no, it is not possible to achieve a stable handstand with good alignment in 6 months.

- Begin with Fundamentals.  This will teach you the basic vocabulary and components of GST.

- After Fundamentals if you wish to delve deeper into GST, you may segue into Foundation One/Pro+, Stretch and Handstand One.  The online program scheduler will integrate all of these for you automatically.

- If you wish to get an earlier jump on additional mobility work, you may choose to add the Stretch series after a week or two of dedicated Fundamentals work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

B-rad

Coach Sommer,

Did I read this correctly?

- After Fundamentals if you wish to delve deeper into GST, you may segue into Foundation One/Pro+, Stretch and Handstand One.  The online program scheduler will integrate all of these for you automatically.

If so, this is a game changer!

Since learning about the large variety of the gb programs, I've been concerned with the many recommendations on the forum to pursue F1 and H1 at the same time.

Being efficient with my time and reducing the potential for getting hurt are very real concerns for me, and I'm sure there are many others. I'm 36, have three children under 5, and university prof (high-pressure work with alternating seasons of very long hours). Fitness has declined over the past 5 years; prior to this new life, I was a moderately accomplished rock climber and alpinist.

If I understand this correctly, the online scheduler that simultaneously paces F1, H1, and Stretch would even work for me . . . Correct?

Thanks very much for creating the Fundamentals program. It's a blast!
Brad

Coach Sommer

Yep. Welcome to the fitness world of damn that is awesome.  :icon_cool:

- Yes, the entire schedule is integrated and the workouts themselves are generated for you automatically based upon your workout logs.  You select how many days per week you would like to train (I recommend starting with less rather than more).  You select the duration of the Foundation workouts; either 30 minutes or 60 minutes (again I recommend starting with less rather than more).  You select which days to include handstand and stretch in your week and voilà ... your schedule is generated for you.

- Did I mention the smart programming?  :icon_cool:

If you reach a plateau on a particular element and are stuck, the GB system automatically restructures your training and adjusts your programming for that element to begin chipping away at the encountered deficit.

- Did I mention F1/Pro+?  :icon_cool:

F1/Pro+ is the only system in the world capable of generating custom follow along workout videos; you simply follow the GB instructors (rep for rep, set for set; every exercise and every mobility) through a custom workout based solely upon where you are in your Foundation 1 training for EACH AND EVERY element within your training.  If one particular element is more advanced, you will do more advanced work for the element.  If one particular element is lagging behind, you will do less advanced work for that element.  Nothing for you to worry about or struggle with programming wise, the system automatically makes these adjustments for you and creates the custom follow along videos for you based off the information recorded in your training log.

- Were these features a monstrous pain in the ass to create?  Absolutely!  There is a reason that no one else in the world has ever managed to create these functions.  The sheer complexity, attention to detail and creativity required is staggering.  F1/Pro+ alone is capable of generating well over 10,000+ customized follow along workout video combinations.

However that has nothing to do with you guys.  As far as you are concerned, the whole damn thing simply happens automatically and smoothly.  Which is exactly as it should be from a GB customer experience perspective.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

B-rad

All sounds like a winning combination!

Maybe one day, similar to Paul who started the thread, I'll be able to achieve the perfect handstand.

Thanks!
Brad