This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Herniated Disc (L5-S1) and GST

Started by Nash Kabbara, May 13, 2016 · 2 Replies · 155 Views

Nash Kabbara

Hi Guys,

I've developed achilles tendonitis in the last few weeks in my left leg. One theory is that a disc herniation that I have in my L5-S1 is impinging a nerve that is causing a lot of tightness in my left leg muscles which could have led to the tendonitis. My left leg muscles are tighter than my right. The tightness started 2 years ago right after my injury doing a deadlift which caused the herniation.

Some PTs are telling me to stay away from posterior pelvic tilt type movements and GST stuff in general.

I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with a herniated disc and if so, how F1 has affected it.

Tracey Weaver

I had a micro discectomy at L4-5 (right above yours) twelve years ago.  PPT for me is limited and difficult for me to hold for a duration.  My ROM in my tuck is limited and I have a constant anterior tilt (even when standing) which I believe I obtained from avoiding PPT for many years because at times... If I pushed that ROM I would be pained and couldn't stand straight for weeks.

i am a lifter too.  I know if I took the steps to mobilize and strengthen my back  I could stay injury free in and out of the gym too.

i am working to correct this problem here.  I am cautious and take progressions seriously and don't jump ahead.  I want to fix my back once and for all. 

 

I see SLS is your biggest challenge.  What part of the move is Mose difficult? I struggle there too.

Nash Kabbara

Hi Tracey,

There's no difficulty in movements. I'm just trying to be proactive in preventing future issues.

One of the movements is definitely affecting it because after my Fb workout, when I sit I feel numbness over left glute. What I did is stop all activity and every week I'm bringing in one movement. As soon as numbness starts again, I'll be able to pinpoint it. My gut says it's FL/PE4 or SL/PE6. We'll see.

Doctors I saw want me to switch all workouts to swimming. Not sure I want to do that.

-Nash