This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on SL/SE2

Started by Jon Thornham, May 13, 2016 · 16 Replies · 196 Views

Jon Thornham

I've progressed to SL/SE2 and am stuck here.  I find the exercise very challenging and after four months of work cannot get more than 2 reps for 3 sets.  Should I back track to something or through in another exercise?

 

Jared Birbeck

either drop back to work the time at SE1, or work the SE2 as you do, but tack on SE1 work to build capacity. I've done both to good effect.

Jon Thornham
28 minutes ago, Jared Birbeck said:

either drop back to work the time at SE1, or work the SE2 as you do, but tack on SE1 work to build capacity. I've done both to good effect.

Thanks.  Have you ever tried working SE2 as a negative?

Jared Birbeck

no, I've not done a negative there but done more work on SE1 to build a better foundation. I rushed and while I could hold SE1 it wasn't as pretty or as strong as it needed to be. I had to accept that there is a difference between doing something, and doing it well.

Jon Thornham
45 minutes ago, Jared Birbeck said:

no, I've not done a negative there but done more work on SE1 to build a better foundation. I rushed and while I could hold SE1 it wasn't as pretty or as strong as it needed to be. I had to accept that there is a difference between doing something, and doing it well.

Haha, I am learning the same thing.  I guess it keeps me honest.  =]

Maksis Riley

How are your sPL progressions? I'm not an expert but your bottom arm is never held in protraction which I think may be essential here. I would imagine that SE1 had the same issue? Possibly revisit it and make sure to maintain protraction on the bottom arm for the entire duration of your sets? Like I said I am no expert but that jumped out at me straight away.

 

Max

Oussama KHELLADI

do you begin your workout with SL or what foundation ? if not i suggest you do it first since its stressful especially on the wrist 

for me i wasnt able to do the proper form in the beginning but after some sessions i was able to correct the form and last week i achieved mastery in SL SE2 

Jon Thornham
1 hour ago, Oussama KHELLADI said:

do you begin your workout with SL or what foundation ? if not i suggest you do it first since its stressful especially on the wrist 

for me i wasnt able to do the proper form in the beginning but after some sessions i was able to correct the form and last week i achieved mastery in SL SE2 

I start with wrist warm-ups before I do each session of these.  Congrats on mastery of SL/SE2.

Oussama KHELLADI
34 minutes ago, Jon Thornham said:

I start with wrist warm-ups before I do each session of these.  Congrats on mastery of SL/SE2.

thank you

i noticed you have the same space issue like me my stallbars are not elevated from the floor so i have to lift my legs, any way you just keep repeating the step until you feel strength gain , good luck :)

 

Jon Thornham
1 hour ago, Oussama KHELLADI said:

thank you

i noticed you have the same space issue like me my stallbars are not elevated from the floor so i have to lift my legs, any way you just keep repeating the step until you feel strength gain , good luck :)

 

Thanks.  I'll keep working at it.  

Gavin Strelitz

In looking at your video I would suggest dropping back to SE 1 and work on the scapular positioning of the bottom arm. Your lower arm scap is pushing back, you really need to push it forward as this will give you lift and stability.

Jon Thornham
18 minutes ago, Gavin Strelitz said:

In looking at your video I would suggest dropping back to SE 1 and work on the scapular positioning of the bottom arm. Your lower arm scap is pushing back, you really need to push it forward as this will give you lift and stability.

Excellent.  Great advice.  I am heading back to SE1.

Alessandro Mainente

Personally as Jon stated above, i do not like the upper back positioning, the bottom scap needs protraction.

You can also evaluate some retraction-protraction in the front support position at the end of training , couple of sets of 10 reps each arm.

Jon Thornham
17 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Personally as Jon stated above, i do not like the upper back positioning, the bottom scap needs protraction.

You can also evaluate some retraction-protraction in the front support position at the end of training , couple of sets of 10 reps each arm.

That's a great idea.  I'll work that in.  Thanks for the advice.  

Jon Thornham
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Personally as Jon stated above, i do not like the upper back positioning, the bottom scap needs protraction.

You can also evaluate some retraction-protraction in the front support position at the end of training , couple of sets of 10 reps each arm.

There was a major hole in my scap protraction.  I started the retraction-protraction reps tonight and could not complete very many successfully.  Thanks again for the advice.  Happy to be moving forward. 

Alessandro Mainente

In this case take it slowly basing on the number of completed reps. Since it is better for you to promote some muscle grow maybe use some assistance by one foot should decrease the effort and permit more reps.

Jon Thornham

I recently found a modification that is helping me progress.  I've been placing my top hand on the stall bar rung that is slightly out further than the rest of the bars.  This changes the leverage and is allowing me to complete reps of SL/SE2.  Once I master this I will move on to having my hands directly inline with each other.  I hope this helps someone else with the same issue I am having.