This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE3 + IM Test Mastery question

Started by Marek Dibusz, May 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 93 Views

Marek Dibusz

Hello there,

This week I tried the PE 3 and IM for the first time, and managed to do the prescribed reps and sets on the first go to match the "mastery standards", even the tempo was OK. This is not the issue.

My question is, whether to move on, even though I am quite sore today (I did it yesterday) - I mean, I believe I could benefit from the exercise, the feeling was good, BUT I can do the required sets and reps without the form going south, hence my dilemma ...

If some of you, who came across similar situation could leave a quick comment, I would be delighted.

In respect,

Marek Dibusz

Keegan Yentsch

I've mastered a new exercise on my first go (the revised SL/PE1 for example). If you are certain you have mastery you are free to move on to the next exercise pairing. There is no rule against sticking with an exercise for a microcycle or two though if you feel that doing so would be of benefit to you.

Kai Ewert

I agree with Keegan, I've been in the same spot as you and typically then repeated the mastery test at least one more time to make sure I really have it. Trust me, you will run into P/SEs that will have you stalled soon enough, so a workout or two more on one exercise is nothing.

Also, @Jon Douglas mentioned somewhere @Alessandro Mainente 's concept that if you have achieved mastery, you should be able to do one set at 200% of the mastery requirement. I find that to be true for the things I feel I have truly mastered, and to keep me honest with things I'd like to "be done with". So that could be another thing for you to test...

Marek Dibusz

thank you guys for a swift reply :)

i will try the 200% concept - seems brutal though.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Seems realistic, with lowe rest and full standard mastery you can double the reps of the mastery. so if you can do 5x5, you should be able to do at least 8-10 reps in a row.