This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight glutes

Started by Steffen Rasmussen, May 12, 2016 · 28 Replies · 889 Views

Eva Pelegrin

Daniel, are you engaging your quads (like you mean it) during your middle splits? That should facilitate feeling a stretch in the adductors. Also pay attention to the position of your feet. They might be too turned out and causing unnecessary cramping in your hips. And how is your APT? I would focus on those markers first. You already know that going too hard on mobility is counter productive. With the right intend and proper positioning of the bones, surrendering will do the rest. ;)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmmm. On the Iso middles, my feet are faced squarely into the wall and my quads are engaged, as are my hips trying to pull my legs towards each other. My APT could use work, but I don't feel that's it abhorrent. Wasn't aware that it was extremely necessary for the standing ISO middle stretch, but I'll go back and reevaluate next Friday when it comes up in my schedule.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 9/9/2016 at 10:15 AM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Daniel, are you engaging your quads (like you mean it) during your middle splits? That should facilitate feeling a stretch in the adductors. Also pay attention to the position of your feet. They might be too turned out and causing unnecessary cramping in your hips. And how is your APT? I would focus on those markers first. You already know that going too hard on mobility is counter productive. With the right intend and proper positioning of the bones, surrendering will do the rest. ;)

 

Yeah, to be brief,  I wasn't. The Middle Split series went entirely differently today after ensuring to engage/contract my quads. Doing that, in and of itself, is quite difficult, but I felt my hamstrings loosening by the end of the series. Still feel a little soreness/tenderness in the glute, but by elevating ALL of my thigh in the piriformis stretch (similar to a regression for the yoga pigeon pose) I found that I was better able to hold the piriformis stretch. The quad and piriformis issues will be things I continue to work on, but I can ascertain that this is the right way to go about improving it. Now, to focus on the weeks to months of improvement which @Coach Sommer speaks about in all the videos. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Assisted Hawaiian squats....that, might be the answer I need. Done for a stretch/warmup and not for mastery. Felt like a horse tranquilizer right into my glutes.