This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain Vs. Discomfort, and locating the source (joint, muscle, connective tissue)

Started by Antonios Hadjigeorgalis, May 12, 2016 · 9 Replies · 313 Views

Antonios Hadjigeorgalis

Do you have any tips for identifying "pain" vs. feeling normal discomfort?  Is the end goal that we can do these movements without any discomfort?

What about making the distinction between feeling a sensation in a muscle, vs a joint, vs connective tissue?  

I'm uncertain where to draw the line between "this is normal stretching feel" and "this is causing damage, I must stop".  

For example, I recently got a severe calf cramp upon waking.  I think that was definitely real pain.  However, at the same time, I know there was no real danger and that it was definitely the muscle.  In the case of these stretching movements, I definitely feel the discomfort of stretching at one point.  Then the intensity slowly increases either with time or further movement towards the ideal position.  What I'm not clear about is where do I stop in the progression from definitely only discomfort (stretch) and maybe this is pain or maybe this is more intense stretch.  

For context, I scored about 50% on the free assessment quiz.

 

 

Barry Johnston

I read an explanation of this somewhere on the site and I'll try to find it again for you.

It was something along the lines of "normal discomfort" will start to go away as soon as you come out of the stretch, and "real pain" will stay present for a while after you come out the stretch.

Hopefully one of the coaches can give a better explanation than that and I'll try to find that article for you.

 

Barry Johnston

Sorry Antonios I can't seem to find the article/post I read.  I've gone through so much info since signing up here yesterday that I can't remember where it is.

Maybe @Coach Sommer could point you in the right direction.

Andreas Adolfsson

Maybe you heard it in the Tim Ferriss podcast. If I remember correctly he said something along the lines of: if the pain goes away when you stop the movement we're all good but if it gets worse when you stop "oh shit, I fucked up". Or whatever. xD

Barry Johnston
3 hours ago, Andreas Adolfsson said:

Maybe you heard it in the Tim Ferriss podcast. If I remember correctly he said something along the lines of: if the pain goes away when you stop the movement we're all good but if it gets worse when you stop "oh shit, I fucked up". Or whatever. xD

That might have been it

Antonios Hadjigeorgalis

Thank you, Barry. Your response was already very helpful.

Miguel Collins

On the Tim Ferris Podcast,  Coach said something along the line, that discomfort/fatigue stops when the exercise is over.  Injury gets worst when the exercise is over, but I'm paraphrasing.

 

Gavin Routledge

Trouble is that that's a bit late to make the discovery.  I totally agree that if you have continued discomfort/pain after completing the movement, you've probably over-stretched/strained something, but by then it's too late.  However, as for judging at the time whether a feeling is "good pain" or "bad pain", this is a very subjective experience.  If you're the type of person who pushes themselves and this has resulted in injury before, then I'd recommend backing off a little.  Just hold it for a brief period of time, up to the point of discomfort, then stop and see how it feels afterwards. IF it feels OK, then hold it for longer the next time, and so on, until you get to the level you're aiming for.  Remember, there are no medals for injuries!!  Frequent short holds to start with, with gradual progression is a lot better than "going for it" the first time and ending up on the physios/osteos/chiros/PTs couch for the next few weeks!

Antonios Hadjigeorgalis

You make some great points, Gavin.  I am looking for that just right pain that will maximize results.  I totally agree with the Coach that injuries should be prevented at all costs.  A I am being extra careful because I am experiencing some pain in my left shoulder.  The pain is definitely in the extension range.  I'm hoping it works itself out as I progress slowly through this program.  I think I injured it by allowing my shoulder to move too far forward during kettlebell swings.  However, I can do (proper form) kb swings with no pain at all.   

The crab is definitely giving me a great stretch.  I was a little bit sore the morning of day 2.  Not constant pain, but I was feeling it.  I will assume that means I pushed a little too far.  

Gavin Routledge

Antonios, never underestimate the value of ice (baths)! ;-)