This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question: Additional Training

Started by Ryan Murray, May 12, 2016 · 7 Replies · 510 Views

Ryan Murray

Hi all!  A quick question about additional training during the Fundamental Series.  

First, a little background........I am a 34 y/o male, typically workout 2-3 days per week, was a college athlete (soccer/goalkeeper),  I'm in decent shape but with some typical gym rat/ ex-athlete type issues  (hips, low back, right knee, right shoulder...... Ok, so I'm a bit of a mess :P.)  I've been taking it pretty light in the gym lately to let things heal up, and feel pretty good right now.  I have been aware of Gymnastics bodies for a long time, but never pulled the trigger on starting anything gymnastics related due to my fear of my losing strength in my gym numbers (Squat/Bench/Deadlift). Obviously, that has not quite worked out for me as every time I get to a respectable weight in a big lift another joint seems to start having issues :facepalm:.

After listening to the Tim Ferriss podcast I became very intrigued and purchased the Fundamentals Series.  I'm only on day 3 but I'm already feeling that itch..... I've worked out with weights a couple of times every week since 14 years old and my obsessive compulsive gym rat head is telling me I'm not doing enough.

Can I do weight workouts along with the Fundamental Series?  If so, how much, how intense, etc?

Thank you for your help in advance!  

Sam Lock

Same here.   I'd like to keep up conditioning while using the movements of the Fundamentals Series.  I need to do something to burn off steam. Heavy Bag work?  Kettlebells?  Sprints and carries?  I need to do something, but I don't want to work at cross purposes, as they say.

Ryan Murray

Well, with no response, I'm going to take a stab at this going from my personal knowledge and instincts....... 

After going through 4 days of "Fundamentals", my conclusion is that I am going to (and need to) continue working out with weights.  The "workouts" are really more like lessons which I can integrate into my warm-ups and do on off days. I'm going to continue doing my weight workouts as planned (3 days per week), and integrate the lessons being taught into my current workouts/warm-ups to the best of my ability.  

It seems to me that once we get past the "Fundamentals", the "Foundation" series is actual workouts rather than lessons.  

If I'm off-base I would appreciate if somebody would let me know, but I'm pretty sure that the "Fundamentals" series (from what I've seen) are not meant to be workouts. Therefore, in order to not de-condition myself for the next 24 days, I should continue working out with weights on my own but be cognizant not to over-do anything.

Cory Fair

Hi Ryan,

You're right on track, Fundamentals is a gentle exposure to GST™ whereas Foundation One will dive right into highly structured workouts. While what's appropriate in terms of additional work will vary by student, it's important to remember that we're here to reshape the body over time so err on the side of not quite enough rather than giving into the urge to start making sweat angels.

Sam Lock

No sweat angels, I promise.  Planning on adhering to RKC Rites of Passage Kettlebell work, since it allows for flexibility in programming with rest, medium, and easy days.  Must be mindful that priority is singular.  And the priority is preparation for gymnastic movements that are coming up. 

Joe Swam

Thanks for posting this thread and thanks to the responders. I was wondering the same and after reading the thread, I'll continue with the 3 days per week of 5X5 I've been doing. I'm loving the program (Fundamentals) so far.

Ryan Murray

Cory Fair - Thank you for the response!  Very appreciated!

Khaled Chatila
On 5/14/2016 at 4:02 PM, Joe Swam said:

Thanks for posting this thread and thanks to the responders. I was wondering the same and after reading the thread, I'll continue with the 3 days per week of 5X5 I've been doing. I'm loving the program (Fundamentals) so far.

Joe,

Ive been doing 5x5 for 4 weeks now - are you using the App? I think the app is what's forcing me to stick to the routine :)