This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamentals

Started by Mark Collins, May 12, 2016 · 13 Replies · 111 Views

Mark Collins

Can we get a brief overview of what the fundamental course material includes. In particular the differences between Foundation and Fundamentals. That way I can be sure what to recommend to beginners.

Will those that purchase Fundamentals have a forum section? I have noticed some questions in the general forum that seem to be course specific.

Jon Douglas

Second this request :)  I thought i was giving a fairly straightforward response in one thread but a follow-up comment by Coach seemed to indicate that I was providing much more detail than appropriate for the level

Coach Sommer

Great idea, guys.

Please give the moderators full access to Fundamentals.  Is it possible for them to be able to view the course in it's entirety?

The purpose of Fundamentals is a clear, simple, concise introduction to GST.  The flow of information is controlled; requiring the students to focus only on a single lesson each day.

Alessandro Mainente

I have a question, different times people ask me privately on facebook what is the best products for a beginner. Usually I suggest the foundations. Now that fundamentals is out do you prefer that I suggest this product and after the foundations?

 

thanks

Coach Sommer

If someone is intermediate or above, they may start with Foundation.  If they are a beginner they should begin with Fundamentals and then segue into Foundation once Fundamentals is completed.

Fundamentals covers the basics in terms of GST vocabulary, basic scapular function, diagnostic movements, stretching and a daily limber series amongst other things.

Mark Collins

Just browsing through the fundamentals forum and I noticed that there are some broken people out there. I thought the Foundation members were in bad shape.

It looks like the podcast really attracted the middle aged population. They also seem to need alot more hand holding.

Coach you must have the patience of Job.

Coach Sommer

LOL.

Yep, expecting a call from the Big Guy upstairs any day now. ;)

As you already pointed out, very disconcerting how broken most middle aged adults have become.  In fact beyond disconcerting to shocking.  The good news however is that this provides us with an opportunity to do some good that no one else has been able to deal with effectively on a large scale as well as open a new revenue stream for the company.  So this has evolved into the classic win/win situation.

We are in middle of laying out Fundamentals 2 as I am concerned that the jump from Fundamentals to even F1/PE1 will be too intense for many of the new batch of students.

We have been correlating the primary issues that beginners encounter with F1 and where they tend to get stuck in F1; e.g. hinge rows and deck squats etc. so that we can be proactive and begin working on their F1 deficits with Fundamentals 2 before they even begin F1.

We already have a large pile of data, but more is always helpful.  Please share any observations of your own that you have encountered as forum coaches with beginners struggling with PE1s.

 

 

Mark Collins

That sounds great. There is a massive market of people out there that would benefit from Fundamentals, but find F1 too difficult.

So far what have seen in Fundamentals is terrific. I am envious of those that can start on it. If only they knew of how hard it was starting on arch body holds as PE1. The scaling options with Wes are great.

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

There is some frustration gathering momentum with the self regulated programming of Fundamentals, see Sets and Reps thread.

I must admit I am not sure what to say to keep em going. Keep trying for positions and make notes? Spend a particular block of time? Or some observations on how I might structure a workout with the material they have thus far?

Cheers

Cole Dano

Bumping Jon's question. 

We've had more threads expressing frustration come in.

Coach Sommer

Gentlemen,

Come on guys.  Let's get it together.  I have already explained this multiple times.

There are no sets and reps in Fundamentals.  Nor are there ever going to be. 

Programming at that introductory level that is just right for one person is far too advanced for someone else.  Some of these new students cannot even get into the basic positions, let alone move in them.

Fundamentals is intended for them to identify previously undiscovered mobility and strength deficits.  If they are comfortable, they may attempt to follow the 'follow along' videos.  If they are not comfortable, then they should spend a few minutes gently exploring where their deficiencies are and solidying in their psyche that these problems ARE real and DO exist and that they NEED to do something about them or they are only going to continue to get worse.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Coach, there is one post where a guy asked what to do after completing fundamentals 1. Well since you stated above that fundamentals 2 is almost ready, do we need to suggest to stay on fund 1 until the 2 is released or move over foundations 1?

Coach Sommer

FD2 is not yet ready for release.

Current developmental template for entry into the GB curriculum:

- start with Fundamentals

- part way thru Fundamentals, the student should consider adding in the GB stretch courses

- begin F1 after the completion of Fundamentals.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Got it.